[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Time To Pull The Plug?????? What Say YE???

Time To Pull The Plug?????? What Say YE???

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: Time To Pull The Plug?????? What Say YE???

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:50 pm

The counter shows 606 views to this point---yet about 10 people have commented over and over and over.

So let's shut up for a little bit and see what others have to say----shall we?????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:12 am

I apologize for getting a little testy above.

I have tree jobs to do for the next 2 days and leave this question in your good hands.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:34 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks for the clarifications Bruce!

What I think Gene may want is a top down solution to what in Baptist life is a bottom up issue.
Tim Bonney

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:33 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:24 pm

This is probably not just off-thread but off-forum, but since it came up here earlier I mention here that Mrs H and I are heading off to Community Bible Fellowship this morning, and I'll report back here whether I see any telltale signs of denominational allegiance.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Didn't happen today, we were late getting going and missed the bus by about a block, so today we will worship at the 6 pm service of . I gather this is originally a Ukrainian Pentecostal outfit, and their main services are "Slavic" (I'm guessing this means a mixture of Russian and Ukrainian) with headphones providing simultaneous English translation... CBF will just have to wait.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:34 pm

It interests me that what you are saying above is basically: "Not that many church attenders really care about denominations anymore. It is a new day of going to the church your enjoy locally. Missions is a sidebar."

HOWEVER, there are still some who are getting tired of saying, "I'm not the kind of Baptist that the leaders of the SBC keep portraying. I am more open minded and not into the collusion of politics and religion of the Conservative Right."

Am I mistaken that, although the CBF has been far different than the current SBC, we have yet to declare it formally!!!!

I fully know that Baptist polity requires a bottom-up decision to participate in CBF, but when the average WMU lady still does not understand their former leaders now are CBF, "we have a problem, Houston."

What is the problem with making a formal declaration of independence?????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Sadly, this has not yet been their decision to my knowledge.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:06 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:18 am

Gentlemen---get off the "shout" bit, please.

Those of us who participate in CBF know the distinct difference. Many in NC still have no clue how separate it is. We just need to do a better job of showing our love and cooperation to the general public.

They still don't get it--so how do you suggest we make it plain?????

Its not really an issue for you at your spot in Baptistland. It is a real issue in NC where I live and talk with local people.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:19 am

Tim Bonney

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 am

Sorry, Timothy, I just view large print as a way to fill the space on small comments.

I guess I am somewhat rebellious when people draw narrow parameters with a good and friendly discussion.

I totally agree that much of the filure to distinguish CBF from SBC is with too timid pastors not wanting any knd of trouble in their church. After all, when you are a paid prince of the pulpit you have a choice of laying low on important issues or speaking out.

I am more outspoken on matters of consconscience. The Autonomy of the local Baptist Church and Members are crucial to me. I like the motto of our Biblical Recorder: "Tell the story and let the people decide." Sadly, that no longer exists after Norman Jameson was forced to resign.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 am

Well Gene, there isn't much of being a "prince" to being a moderate Baptist pastor in a moderate church. I've been there, and I can tell you that pastors are often "timid" because of the way the local church is set up. Basically many Baptist churches only want to hear what they already believe. They don't want prophetic preaching, they don't want to be theologically challenged, and they don't want to be told their are wrong even when they are.

And, since the pastor is basically viewed by many Baptist churches as a hired gun, they expect the pastor to tow their line and basically lead by following.

The pastor who sticks his kneck out in these churches finds that he is soon treated like a hireling employee rather than a pastor and is either made miserable or shown the door. So what is the benefit to the pastor in trying to straighten out the local church on their views of the CBF when what the CBF does has little impact on the local ministry of the local church? If things are going well in your congregation there isn't going to be a lot of incentive to stir the pot just to help out the CBF. Sorry but, that is the truth.

Yes, there are autocratic Baptist pastors out there (the Princes you are talking about). But they only survive in churches in which they can get an autocratic governance structure set up. Those pastors (unfortunately sometimes) are never afraid to say what they want to say. But you don't find those kind of pastors in moderate churches It is usually conservative churches only that give their pastors that kind of power.

Unfortunately I've not seen much balance between the two models in Baptist life.
Tim Bonney

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:23 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Gene,

I'm thinking that maybe your problem with CBF (which is totally separate and distinct from SBC as the ABC is from the SBC) is that CBF does not have the marketing muscle and/or presence to inform all North Carolina Baptists of its identity, or even its existence. Another issue may well be that many SBC Baptist pastors in North Carolina don't want to know about anything other than SBC, and thus refuse to be educated.

- Bruce
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum