Johnny Pierce's Editorial...

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Johnny Pierce's Editorial...

Postby David Flick » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:40 pm

The CBF M&M Forum has had little activity recently so I thought I'd post something to pick up the activity.

As an avid reader of Baptists Today (the hard copy) the first article I read is Johnny Pierce's editorial. In the September issue, he wrote an outstanding piece about Articulating an identity apart from Fundamentalism*. The 7 common tricks used by the fundies to defend themselves and dismiss those who challenge their claims have been used extensively here in Oklahoma.

I always enjoy reading Johnny's editorials, but this one gets a Delux Golden Spur.

----------------------------------------------------------

*You can read the editorial online by clicking on Editorials at Baptists Today.
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: Johnny Pierce's Editorial...

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:35 am

It's an excellent editorial, and Pierce is right on target. I've experienced every one of those methods when trying to articulate a position different from their positions. A closed mind is a dangerous thing, but it's a whole lot easier to have since you never have to examine any of your truth claims; you just keep restating them.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby BTeditor » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks, guys. Will have to get some boots to go with that spur, David.
BTeditor

Pierce good Blog on Macon's Vineville

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:51 am

Liked it a lot and got to playing around in a comment and before I knew it was proud of what I added to the nuance as well.

Wondering what Effie thinks about my two cents here:

http://www.johndpierce.com/2010/09/sign-of-times.html
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Pierce good Blog on Macon's Vineville

Postby David Flick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:47 am

Stephen Fox wrote:Liked it a lot and got to playing around in a comment and before I knew it was proud of what I added to the nuance as well.

Wondering what Effie thinks about my two cents here:

http://www.johndpierce.com/2010/09/sign-of-times.html

I have to reveal interesting statistic to you here Fox. As the longest standing moderator on BL.Com (coming up on 11 years), I don't think Effie has read as many 10 posts on this discussion forum. And she doesn't read blogs at all. Discussion forums and blogs aren't her cup of tea. So she probably wouldn't think much of your two cents worth. That said, she's a prolific reader of Christain romance novels, buying them by the them by the dozen and reading them just as fast. I have no clue how many she can read in a week, but she can knock one out in a day. We never go anywhere when she isn't toting along at least two.
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby BTeditor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:23 am

Well, David, I got the boots to go with my spurs. Since the world doesn't need another fake cowboy, I picked up a pair of half-price dingo boots. Same style as I wore in the '70s. But, sadly, considerably less hair on my head than back then.
BTeditor

Cartledge blog on rel IQ

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:11 am

Didn't watnt to start a new thread, so I hope Flick and Pierce will forgive me for sliding this in here, as it comes from Pierce colleague at BT:

FTR, agree with Flick on this one; grand opinion piece by Pierce only to be trumped in the Sept issue by the Hardy Clemons Interview.
I hope Flick points out to Effie the name of Hardy's shirt in the photo. Tee Thomas will be proud.

Response to Cartledge blog of Oct 1 on Religious IQ

I'm trying to upgrade my Religious IQ with reading Diarmand MacCulloch's magisterial First 3,000 years of Christianity. I'm in good company as the work is endorsed by President Clinton's Oxford Roommate Strobe Talbot and Chattanooga, Tn native, Newsweek editor and biographer of Andrew Jackson: Jon Meacham.
900 pages plus so it may take me a while. I have a quote from page 51 at my blog I want Judge Pressler to read so maybe he will apologize to Jack Flanders before he,Pressler, leaves this world.
The Segment on Masters of Suspcicion is grand. I hope the word gets out to Campbell, Duke Div and the BTSR and grows from there.
Not Berdyaev, but another fellow from that era; I need to bone up on him a little as well.
That said, the conversation for me now pretty much starts with James Wood's The Broken Estate, Essays on Literature and Belief. Much less is in some ways beside the point unless Fleming Rutledge footnoted it somewhere in one of her grand sermons.
I may temper these remarks later.

Stephen Fox

Here's the Quiz

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:19 am

Stephen Fox

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:29 pm

David, you might need to do another Golden Spur for this month's BT editorial, another home run entitled, "Does Jesus Have a Christian Worldview?"
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby David Flick » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Lamar Wadsworth wrote:David, you might need to do another Golden Spur for this month's BT editorial, another home run entitled, "Does Jesus Have a Christian Worldview?"

Absolutely, Lamar! One thing you can say about Johnny's editorials is that they are consistently good. WWDD? (What Would David Do?) Answer: HLRAJAGS. (Honor Lamar's request and give Johnny a Golden Spur.)

. . . . .Johnny's Golden Spur
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:28 pm

BTeditor wrote:Well, David, I got the boots to go with my spurs. Since the world doesn't need another fake cowboy, I picked up a pair of half-price dingo boots. Same style as I wore in the '70s. But, sadly, considerably less hair on my head than back then.

Guess you're gonna have to get another pair of boots, Johnny. You're gettin' in the gold big time these days... :D
David Flick
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum