[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Lauren Winner...

Lauren Winner...

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Lauren Winner...

Postby Tim Dahl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm listening to Lauren Winner's presentation to the CBF, via their mp3 link on the website. I'm loving what she's saying, but it's hard to hear beyond her valley girl accent. Where is she from?

I have no desire to really criticize her, for I love her content. But man, that accent! I'm having flashbacks to some childhood experiences with people trying desperately to sound that way. "Like...Like... Oh. My. GOSH!"

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Re: Lauren Winner...

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Dahl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Ed,

I couldn't agree more with you. I enjoyed, and agreed with, her presentation. But, I was thinking about some of the ladies that I went to seminary with. Most of them were a little bit older, on their second vocation, and were sharp as a tack. I'm sure we have women out there related to the CBF that would have made great preachers at the Assembly. But, those in charge of it thought she was the person God wanted there at that time (I'm assuming), so we go with it. Who ends up getting the speakers?

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:22 am

I recommend that you express your sentiments to CBF personnel.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby scottaerwin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:23 am

Gentlemen,

i agree and disagree. There are absolutely many amazing young baptist women who can preach way better than Lauren. There are not, however, any young baptist women with the credentials of a Lauren Winner. She has authored several best selling books, earned a Ph.D. with Randall Balmer, and is a professor at Duke. We just don't have that many women who are as accomplished. That is sad on our part and shows how really behind the curve we are as Baptists. I can't think of very many baptist women who have had the opportunities that Lauren has had to make their marks. Molly Marshall, Julie Pennington-Russell, Sarah Shelton, Dorisanne Cooper are the only popular women preachers in moderate baptist life that I can immediately think of and we can't have them preach every time.

We need to start developing talent instead of educating them, and then give them no place to serve and develop their gifts. That would be a better place to start.

Just thoughts,
Scott
Scott, God is not calling you to HAVE a 900 lb. gorilla, God is calling you to BE a 900 lb. gorilla -- discerning friend
scottaerwin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

I guess this all depends on what kind of keynoter are you looking for?

Most keynote addresses are given by "names" - relatively well-known individuals.

In terms of celebrity, I can't think of a female in moderate Baptist life with a comparable resume to Lauren Winner in terms of how many people are familiar with her books, etc. Frankly, there are not many men in moderate Baptist life who are equally well-known. For a keynote, I thought Lauren Winner was a good choice. I've only read parts of Real Sex but my wife has read all of her books.

Now, if you think the keynoter does not need to be someone well-known, then of course there are numerous young Baptist women that could be selected. But, the keynote speeches/sermons I've heard have been delivered by someone with a "name"
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:56 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Ed or should I say, Oscar,

If I said the sky was blue, you'd say: "But Arron I disagree. Here in BurntHills the sky is sometimes green"
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:18 pm

This Oscar...

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:10 pm

I think maybe I recall seeing that Oscar about 50 years ago when my kids where preschoolers perhaps on Sesame Street ?

Aaron, When you wrote " I can't think of a female in moderate Baptist life with a comparable resume to Lauren Winner in terms of how many people are familiar with her books, etc. Frankly, there are not many men in moderate Baptist life who are equally well-known."

I thought immediately of: www.btsr.edu/s/918/index.aspx?sid=918&gid=1&pgid=362 She was a grader for Karen Smith when I took SBC History at SBTS in 1990. She also worked With Dr. Chuck Bugg in leading our Formations for Ministry class. Winner's earrings sort of reminded me of the first time I heard Phylis preach at Saint Mathews Baptist Church in Louisville, although her earrings where some larger than the dangly crosses worn by Winner. Phylis has thanked me more than once in the intervening years for the criticism even though the earring where a prized gift from her Husband.

And here is a slightly dated review of Karen's Smiths work, When Phylis was giving me a bad time about my spelling, Karen said, it looks like my husband's English spelling. :)
Ed Pettibone

Postby scottaerwin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Ed,

What in the world is wrong with you. You make everything about age, you make ridiculous comments. Nobody knows who Phyllis is, not even in CBF life, and to boot she is extrodinarily boring. and BTW you never explained your comment about a condom on my head.

scott
Scott, God is not calling you to HAVE a 900 lb. gorilla, God is calling you to BE a 900 lb. gorilla -- discerning friend
scottaerwin

Ches Smith

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:16 pm

May be the Father of Karen Smith.

Ches was a contemporary of Ed Young at SEBTS.

Can anybody verify Karen as Ches' Daughter; and with Scott, What is Phyliss last name???
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby scottaerwin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:24 am

Ed,

I am very glad you are doing well. I am sorry your computer screen is bad. My avatar is a silver back gorilla. I realize that BDW brought up age in this post, but it is an issue with you very often. I didn't mean to be rude to Phyllis, she is an amazing professor and extremely engaging in class. One of the best baptists have to offer, but it is not rude to say somebody is boring or that nobody knows them.

And yes, I am often full of myself, and I tend to think of myself as nobody in particular.

Scott
scottaerwin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:38 am

Timothy,

Hey, I don't disagree with you that it was a slam. But let's not pretend like Ed is just some innocent older gentleman who I chose to randomly go off on with my "spring chicken" reference. I don't make a habit of making snarky age comments to seniors.

Ed, however, is a completely different story. You know how he is. He has a history of making unprovoked comments about my age. As even Scott Erwin notes, the guy makes everything about age. Rick Davis has similar comments to make not many months ago. He makes ridiculous comments and always has to disagree with anything and everything. It's a little annoying.

Ed can say "He started it" and I guess technically in this instance, I did - but I don't approach exchanges with Ed Pettibone as if we have some blank slate. I've interacted with him enough to know how conversations will ultimately play out - especially if Ed finds himself trying to defend some unsupported remark.

I will, however, not to make any further comments about Ed's age. I shouldn't have sunk to his level with that cheap comment. After a while, it gets difficult to interact with someone who is consistently so negative and disagreeable.

I really don't care to interact with the guy. I've tried.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 pm

My book:
My blog: