Online Bible College

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Online Bible College

Postby KRay9 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Is there a university that anyone recommends? I am currently serving on active duty in the United States Navy as a Surface Warfare Officer and want to pursue a Masters in Divinity or a Masters in Ministry. The main purpose is to be able to reach out to my fellow sailors when possible by gaining a better understanding of the bible. Being that I am on active duty, I must be able to complete 100% of the degree online. Thank you for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

I have my bachelors degree and am about to complete a Masters degree, neither of which are in a related field of study.
KRay9

Re: Online Bible College

Postby Tim Dahl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:27 pm

You can check out the B H Carroll Theological Institute, but I'm not sure if they have anything that can be completed %100 online.

Sorry,

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
"Tike's Best Friend"
Tim Dahl

Postby Haruo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 pm

I don't have a suggestion to offer, but I took Ray's selection of the CBF forum to post this in as some sort of indication of theological bent.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KRay9 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Thank you for the replies and I will look into the schools that were suggested. I am a very conservative independent fundamental baptist. The research that I have done so far has led me to either Liberty University or Peidmont Baptist College, both of which offer 100% online Masters degrees, not necessarily in Divinity, but Christian Leadership, Ministry, etc. I intend to get the Masters while on shore duty and then later in my career follow it up with a Doctorate.

I am reviewing the beliefs of the two schools that I previously mentioned in order to ensure that their beliefs are in line with mine. Have you heard anything about these schools?
KRay9

Postby Haruo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:06 pm

What made you choose the CBF forum to post in? CBF is a group that is to the left of the bulk of the SBC, and definitely not "independent fundamentalist". Just curious. I'm quite a bit to the left of the CBF myself, and have no idea what schools might fit your preconceptions of acceptability.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KRay9 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Sorry, this was the first baptist forum that I found online. I did a little more searching and found an independent baptist forum. Thanks for the help and God bless.
KRay9

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Haruo wrote:What made you choose the CBF forum to post in? CBF is a group that is to the left of the bulk of the SBC, and definitely not "independent fundamentalist". Just curious. I'm quite a bit to the left of the CBF myself, and have no idea what schools might fit your preconceptions of acceptability.

Ed; Hauro, you occasionally demonstrate a severely limited knowledge of CBF and even the SBC due I Believe to some clear imbalance in the membership of this site. While it is so that a good many CBFers are former Southern Baptist. As you know I am one of those, How ever on Friday and Saturday of this week Trudy and I, who are now in ABC, will be attending the spring meeting of the Baptist Fellowship of the North East in Hanover New Hampshire, Some of the other folk who will be there are also former Southern Baptist, however some of them have never been Southern Baptist, nor have they been any other sort of Baptist . In June we will be attending the national CBF assembly with between 1800 and 2700. Of those i would guess that some where around 40% will be members of Southern Baptist churches. Of course it is confusing because many of the latter while being members of SBC churches do not self identify as Southern Baptist. In fact during my first 9 years in CBF I attended Southern Baptist churches. The tenth year I attended a church of the ABC-USA, it was not till my eleventh year of CBF participation that I moved my membership from a southern Baptist Church to the ABC, and have been in ABC for 12 years now. And we have known each other most of that time, I am aware that you where born and raised ABC, however you are not only to the left of most in CBF but to the left of most in ABC-USA. You are indeed to my left but I am to the left of a significant percentage of ABC laity and possibly to right of an equally significant percentage.

Given our friends fundamentalist leaning, I would affirm his choice of Liberty primarily because I am not as well acquainted with Piedmont and I would anticipate a degree form liberty opening many more doors in Fundamentalist circles. For Ray if things stay as they are (unlikely as that is) I would suggest New Orleans Seminary for his Doctoral work.
Ed Pettibone

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum