[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF Launches Audio Bible Listening Campaign

CBF Launches Audio Bible Listening Campaign

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

CBF Launches Audio Bible Listening Campaign

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am

(Snippet)

You've Got The Time is a nationwide Bible listening initiative launched by Faith Comes By Hearing, the world's foremost Audio Bible ministry. Almost 14,000 churches have participated and more than four million Audio Bibles have been provided free to churchgoers.

Participating churches listen to the Audio New Testament 28 minutes a day for 40 days. Research shows nearly 70 percent of believers have not read the New Testament and many do not read their Bible regularly.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: CBF Launches Audio Bible Listening Campaign

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I have this on my computer and plan to use it for Lent.

The statistics certainly prove the old adage, "Baptists believe the Bible cover to cover as long as they keep it covered."

I'm glad CBF is promoting this. It's an excellent resource. The only problem may be that it is only available in an MP3 format which may leave some of our senior adults out of it for lack of equipment.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 am

We are going to use this resource as well and are excited about it. The only thing that bothered me is that the CBF labeled discs were ESV, an ok translation but can't imagine giving that to a new Christian. I sent mine back and had them ship me NIV, wished they had it in TNIV.
Jerry_B

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:07 am

We are going to use this resource as well and are excited about it. The only thing that bothered me is that the CBF labeled discs were ESV, an ok translation but can't imagine giving that to a new Christian. I sent mine back and had them ship me NIV, wished they had it in TNIV.
Jerry_B

Postby Tim Dahl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:44 am

I went to a couple of presentations about this. In the end, we've decided to not do it. It isn't because of the ESV. My understanding is that the ESV is the most modern translation that they can get for free/inexpensively. The other ones just cost too much. I can appreciate that. We decided to not do it because of the lack of playability. Let me explain. My people have very few devices that can actually play the CDs. We were told the CDs would work on computers, CD players and DVD players. The problem is, we haven't been able to find one CD/DVD player that they can work with. My congregation is mostly senior adult, and most of them don't have computers, nor do they want them.

I'm sure that our situation is peculiar. Perhaps we're one of the few congregations that have very few early adapters, I'm not sure. But, it seems this will be one of those "good ideas" that won't get off the ground in our congregation.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:00 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Dahl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:53 pm

Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:33 pm

I saw this morning that First Baptist in Richmond is going to make this available as an audio feed on their website [url]fbcrichmond.org[/url]. That provides another accessible way for those who have Internet connections. Maybe Bruce could install one on BL for Lent. That way the MP3 files are available for listening for anyone who goes to the website.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 pm

I finished this on Palm Sunday with 40 days of listening. It was a good experience, but not one I'm likely to repeat. The arrangement of what to hear and when seemed to break up sense units at times. I am one who reads and then stops to think, and the voices head onward without me. Then I had to catch up and missed parts. Guess for scripture I am in the Gutenburg generation still who likes a book in his lap.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Our church enjoyed the listening campaign. The MP3 things was a bit of an issue for some, but some generous folks stepped in and went out and bought players for the few that didn't have a computer.
Jerry_B

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum