CBF Launches Audio Bible Listening Campaign

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am

(Snippet)

You've Got The Time is a nationwide Bible listening initiative launched by Faith Comes By Hearing, the world's foremost Audio Bible ministry. Almost 14,000 churches have participated and more than four million Audio Bibles have been provided free to churchgoers.

Participating churches listen to the Audio New Testament 28 minutes a day for 40 days. Research shows nearly 70 percent of believers have not read the New Testament and many do not read their Bible regularly.
Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: CBF Launches Audio Bible Listening Campaign

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I have this on my computer and plan to use it for Lent.

The statistics certainly prove the old adage, "Baptists believe the Bible cover to cover as long as they keep it covered."

I'm glad CBF is promoting this. It's an excellent resource. The only problem may be that it is only available in an MP3 format which may leave some of our senior adults out of it for lack of equipment.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 am

We are going to use this resource as well and are excited about it. The only thing that bothered me is that the CBF labeled discs were ESV, an ok translation but can't imagine giving that to a new Christian. I sent mine back and had them ship me NIV, wished they had it in TNIV.
Jerry_B

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:07 am

We are going to use this resource as well and are excited about it. The only thing that bothered me is that the CBF labeled discs were ESV, an ok translation but can't imagine giving that to a new Christian. I sent mine back and had them ship me NIV, wished they had it in TNIV.
Jerry_B

Postby Tim Dahl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:44 am

I went to a couple of presentations about this. In the end, we've decided to not do it. It isn't because of the ESV. My understanding is that the ESV is the most modern translation that they can get for free/inexpensively. The other ones just cost too much. I can appreciate that. We decided to not do it because of the lack of playability. Let me explain. My people have very few devices that can actually play the CDs. We were told the CDs would work on computers, CD players and DVD players. The problem is, we haven't been able to find one CD/DVD player that they can work with. My congregation is mostly senior adult, and most of them don't have computers, nor do they want them.

I'm sure that our situation is peculiar. Perhaps we're one of the few congregations that have very few early adapters, I'm not sure. But, it seems this will be one of those "good ideas" that won't get off the ground in our congregation.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
"Tike's Best Friend"
Tim Dahl

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:00 pm

The problem is, we haven't been able to find one CD/DVD player that they can work with

So the CDs aren't actually CDs or what?

I think your situation is probably not that unique.

What do you think of these "Scripture Distribution" efforts here in Texas by the BGCT where multi-media CDs are being handed out presumably in poor neighbors where residents are much less likely to own a PC than a senior citizen in a middle-class neighborhood?
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Dahl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:53 pm

Big Daddy Weaver wrote:
The problem is, we haven't been able to find one CD/DVD player that they can work with

So the CDs aren't actually CDs or what?

I think your situation is probably not that unique.

What do you think of these "Scripture Distribution" efforts here in Texas by the BGCT where multi-media CDs are being handed out presumably in poor neighbors where residents are much less likely to own a PC than a senior citizen in a middle-class neighborhood?

The CDs are actually MP3 Discs. We were told (at the presentations) that any CD player w/ MP3 capability should be able to play them. My car stereo is MP3 enabled, so is my BlueRay player, yet neither of these devices will play them. I got about 5 of the discs, and handed them out to my people to be passed around. The few computers that people have, play them find. Actually, I think the CDRom aspect of it is really cool. But, out of our congregation, only one DVD player was found that could play it. I was able to download the MP3 files to my MP3 player, which turned out to be neat. But, there was no mechanism (outside of the computer program), to tell me which files to listen to. You just end up with the ESV-NT on your ipod.

The other options available are: 1) purchase a dedicated MP3 player, called a Scripture Stick, for about $20. and 2) you can purchase some actual CDs, but they are more expensive, and you end up having about 20-30 discs in all.

The absolute best way to play them are by computer. The CBF is offering these for free; and if I was in any other congregation I would probably do it.

Concerning the Texas Hope 2010 initiative, I've done a similar thing with my people. I handed out multiple copies for them to look at. We've even talked about it our church council. But, to blanket one of the neighborhoods near us, it would cost us over $1000 (cost $1 per CD from the BGCT); and we have about 3 neighborhoods that we would like to have covered. Another factor, again has to do with the age of our congregation. I don't have 3 people that can physically go up and down the streets for any length of time to actually hand them out. When it comes to "hoofing it," I'm effectively alone in the ministry.

If we were able to afford it, I would have our church doing it. Not because I think the CDs will be effective. I don't. I forsee many of the CDs going the way of the old AOL CDs we used to find in our mail...straight to the trash. But, 1) it is something the church can rally behind; and 2) it gives me something other than an business card to hand people when I knock on their doors.

Our area is one of the poorest school districts in the state. Everyone is on a free lunch. The transient nature of our neighborhoods are huge. Even though the people are very poor, almost all of the homes (with the exception of the senior adult homes) have a computer in them. Again, this is not a middle-class area. We are some of the poorest of the poor within Texas. But, it turns out that there are a few things that even the poorest of the poor tend to have, and a computer seems to be one of them.
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
"Tike's Best Friend"
Tim Dahl

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:33 pm

I saw this morning that First Baptist in Richmond is going to make this available as an audio feed on their website [url]fbcrichmond.org[/url]. That provides another accessible way for those who have Internet connections. Maybe Bruce could install one on BL for Lent. That way the MP3 files are available for listening for anyone who goes to the website.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 pm

I finished this on Palm Sunday with 40 days of listening. It was a good experience, but not one I'm likely to repeat. The arrangement of what to hear and when seemed to break up sense units at times. I am one who reads and then stops to think, and the voices head onward without me. Then I had to catch up and missed parts. Guess for scripture I am in the Gutenburg generation still who likes a book in his lap.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Our church enjoyed the listening campaign. The MP3 things was a bit of an issue for some, but some generous folks stepped in and went out and bought players for the few that didn't have a computer.
Jerry_B

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum