A Day with Dr. Cecil Sherman

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

A Day with Dr. Cecil Sherman

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Seven members of our CBF Peer Leaning Group had the privilege today of spending time with Dr. Cecil Sherman at his apartment in Richmond. We were given free range to ask him anything, to discuss his book, and to pick his brain on pastoral leadership. The conversation flowed for about two and one-half hours with him. The participants ranged from one individual beginning her second year as a pastor to a retired minister who spent 29 years in the same church. We also had the privilege to discuss CBF and its future, the partner schools and their roles, Cecil's health, his teaching load at BTSR, and his awareness of life's changing directions for him. I have seldom spent a more stimulating time. We continued with a dutch-treat lunch at the complex where he lives.

This is just a thanksgiving for a great day!!!!! :D
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: A Day with Dr. Cecil Sherman

Postby David Flick » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:38 am

Dave Roberts wrote:Seven members of our CBF Peer Leaning Group had the privilege today of spending time with Dr. Cecil Sherman at his apartment in Richmond. We were given free range to ask him anything, to discuss his book, and to pick his brain on pastoral leadership. The conversation flowed for about two and one-half hours with him. The participants ranged from one individual beginning her second year as a pastor to a retired minister who spent 29 years in the same church. We also had the privilege to discuss CBF and its future, the partner schools and their roles, Cecil's health, his teaching load at BTSR, and his awareness of life's changing directions for him. I have seldom spent a more stimulating time. We continued with a dutch-treat lunch at the complex where he lives.

This is just a thanksgiving for a great day!!!!! :D

Fantastic, Dave. Our Oklahoma City PLG hasn't had an honor that significant...

Sidebar: Dave, have you had an opportunity to meet Steve Graham? He came out of Oklahoma and finished his D.Min from Midwestern about three years ahead of me. He was the first pastor of Spring Creek Baptist Church in Oklahoma City, which was, I believe, the first CBF church start in the state of Oklahoma. He went from there to 2nd Baptist Church in Liberty Missouri. He's a sharp fellow...

Here's his bio as it appears on the CBF national website:
Steve Graham joined the Leadership Development Team as director of the Initiative for Ministerial Excellence. In that capacity, he focuses on Peer Learning Groups, Teaching Congregations and Ministerial Residents. Steve is a native of Oklahoma where he served as pastor of a young congregation for over 16 years. He comes to the Fellowship from Second Baptist Church in Liberty, Missouri, where he served as Senior Pastor. His doctoral project centered on discovering congregational narrative. Steve and his wife, Jennifer, have a son, daughter, and two grandchildren.
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:47 am

David Flick wrote:
Sidebar: Dave, have you had an opportunity to meet Steve Graham? He came out of Oklahoma and finished his D.Min from Midwestern about three years ahead of me. He was the first pastor of Spring Creek Baptist Church in Oklahoma City, which was, I believe, the first CBF church start in the state of Oklahoma. He went from there to 2nd Baptist Church in Liberty Missouri. He's a sharp fellow...

I have met Steve Graham on at least 3 or 4 occasions and had lunch with him once. I am impressed with what he is doing with the program.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:Seven members of our CBF Peer Leaning Group had the privilege today of spending time with Dr. Cecil Sherman... The conversation flowed for about two and one-half hours

W O W ! I hope you had tape rolling. At the very least, did anyone take notes?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 am

Chris wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:Seven members of our CBF Peer Leaning Group had the privilege today of spending time with Dr. Cecil Sherman... The conversation flowed for about two and one-half hours

W O W ! I hope you had tape rolling. At the very least, did anyone take notes?

We have about 2 hours of 2 CD's with his permission. If interested in getting a copy (unedited) PM me.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:... a dutch-treat lunch at the complex where he lives.

Is that Virginia Baptist Homes' Lakewood Manor?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Chris wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:... a dutch-treat lunch at the complex where he lives.

Is that Virginia Baptist Homes' Lakewood Manor?

Dr. Sherman lives at Westminster/Canterbury in Richmond. Unlike Lakewood Manor, it is a gated community insuring you are visited only by those you want to see. Also, he chose to be there because of the excellent Alzheimer's unit for his wife.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum