[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Retired CBF Pastor Now Pastors Presbyterian Congregation

Retired CBF Pastor Now Pastors Presbyterian Congregation

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Retired CBF Pastor Now Pastors Presbyterian Congregation

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:24 am

Would this be called ?
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: Retired CBF Pastor Now Pastors Presbyterian Congregation

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:34 am

Ed: It seems some of our ABC folk just can't make the the transition so they double up. Here in the Northeast there are a number of "federated churches", Baptist and _________ , you may fill in the blank, but many are Baptist and Presbyterian, or Presbyterian and Baptist depending on the primary orientation of the current pastor. Some are Baptist and Methodist. Or they may be some other combination W/O any Baptist involvement. And sometimes they where created by the joining of two, three or more churches, as a matter of survival. I should note, this is not limited to the Northeast, however I have been more aware of it since coming to this area.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 pm

The ABC church in Cle Elum, Washington, when I worshipped there a couple decades back, was dually aligned with the Presbyterians, I'm pretty sure, and maybe also others. The Evergreen ABC church in Moscow, Idaho, is ABC/DOC, I'm pretty sure. Heck, Riverside Church itself is ABC/UCC, isn't it (I think the same may be true of Judson at Washington Square). I don't know if there are now, but there have been within my current incarnation, ABC/UUA congregations, mainly in New England I think. Wonderful thing, as it encourages the people to focus on their unity in Christ, and to value their denominational heritage for its positive contributions rather than its hyperindividualistic separatism.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:41 pm

There are (or were) a number of Baptist / federated churches here in Montana, typically Baptist / Presbyterian, it seems.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:47 pm

There are a handful of Alliance of Baptist congregations (generally out West) that are dually aligned with UCC. I think there is at least one Alliance/UCC/Disciples congregation.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Either now or at some point in the future, there will be more churches affiliated with the Alliance from an American Baptist background than Southern Baptist background which is interesting since AoB started out as the Southern Baptist Alliance. Quite a few Welcoming & Affirming ABC-USA congregations have dually-aligned in the last ten years or so.

My paper that I wrote on the history of the Alliance of Baptists is now featured on the Alliance website.

http://www.allianceofbaptists.org/learn/about/history
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:44 am

I preached several Sundays while in seminary for a church that was a Baptist/Methodist congregation. Two Sundays a month they used a Methodist pastor and two a Baptist. Fifth Sundays were Sunday School only which used a non-denominational publisher. It was interesting to say the least, for the same people came every week.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum