Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Rvaughn » Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 pm

In praise of political preaching
https://baptistnews.com/article/praise-political-preaching/#.WREY-PQrLrd

Is the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship speaking with moral authority on issues of the day? Click on the advocacy link on the CBF website and you will learn that the CBF’s approach to advocacy is “individual and systemic, global and national, state and local, relational and non-partisan.” And because it must be non-partisan it can’t have anything to do with politics. Which is why the next sections of the page explains why the CBF isn’t in the business of dictating morality to its constituency.
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 09, 2017 7:25 am

I like Bean's phrase "making a virtue out of grim necessity." This is the CBF's position, seems to me, although individuals identifying with the group take many partisan positions. Tough to do anything that would reduce the money flow. We all feel that at times.

...and the CBF is master (mistress?) of the grand statement of principle: "individual and systemic, global and national, state and local, relational and non-partisan.” A masterpiece signifying not a whole lot.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
User avatar
William Thornton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11814
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 am

William Thornton wrote:I like Bean's phrase "making a virtue out of grim necessity." This is the CBF's position, seems to me, although individuals identifying with the group take many partisan positions. Tough to do anything that would reduce the money flow. We all feel that at times.

...and the CBF is master (mistress?) of the grand statement of principle: "individual and systemic, global and national, state and local, relational and non-partisan.” A masterpiece signifying not a whole lot.


Part of the struggle of all organizational life is realizing that the prophetic edge can only be so far ahead of the masses. You cannot lead people in change if you get beyond where they can see your back. The protestant individualism in our heritage means that social concern is still played in a minor key in churches. The most prophetic thing in CBF right now is refugee resettlement which runs directly counter to the efforts to cut off all immigrants.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6968
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 am

I agree with Dave.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
User avatar
William Thornton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11814
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:
Part of the struggle of all organizational life is realizing that the prophetic edge can only be so far ahead of the masses. You cannot lead people in change if you get beyond where they can see your back. The protestant individualism in our heritage means that social concern is still played in a minor key in churches. The most prophetic thing in CBF right now is refugee resettlement which runs directly counter to the efforts to cut off all immigrants.


While social action is a much bigger part of Methodist DNA, your advise is still good Dave. You can't get too far ahead.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Rvaughn » Tue May 09, 2017 1:18 pm

William Thornton wrote:I agree with Dave.
I can't. I am offended by his insinuation against minor keyed music! :o
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Haruo » Tue May 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
William Thornton wrote:I agree with Dave.
I can't. I am offended by his insinuation against minor keyed music! :o

I will stand with you and Jesus on this one, Robert!
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Jim » Tue May 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Haruo wrote:
Rvaughn wrote:
William Thornton wrote:I agree with Dave.
I can't. I am offended by his insinuation against minor keyed music! :o

I will stand with you and Jesus on this one, Robert!


I love the minor key and offer this as proof: http://clarkscorner.org/hymn83.pdf. Try it out and enjoy the minor third.
Jim
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Haruo » Tue May 09, 2017 6:33 pm

But without the shapes, how can you tell where the la's are that prove it minor?! ;-)
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue May 09, 2017 7:07 pm

OK, I used a faulty analogy. :oops: Not the first or the last. I like several minor keyed pieces of music.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6968
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Jim » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Haruo wrote:But without the shapes, how can you tell where the la's are that prove it minor?! ;-)


Au contraire! I vote for mi as the vital ingredient turning things minor, but to each his own, shapes or otherwise.
Jim
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Alan Bean chides CBF for lack of "political preaching"

Postby Rvaughn » Tue May 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Maybe we could create a forum for musical debate to break the monotony! :D

Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing "Hallelujah."

From "Hallelujah" by Leonard Norman Cohen
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas


Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest