[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Conservative resurgence on Wrong Side of History

Conservative resurgence on Wrong Side of History

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: Conservative resurgence on Wrong Side of History

Postby Neil Heath » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:31 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:43 am

I was apparently wrong about Dennis Bratcher being a "long-time Baptist" (not that that should invalidate his voice). I had memories of him being involved in the inerrancy debate circulating the SBC in the 80’s (should have checked that out further). He is recently with the Church of the Nazarene and/or Methodist these days (and may have never been Baptist - my memory is far from inerrant).

BTW, the Church of the Nazarene is also having forment over the nature of the the Bible and Evolution these days.

James Dobson and a Dennis Bratcher (or more contemporarily, one of my favorite theologians ) shows the theological spread in that denomination. Oord was recently “laid-off” from the Northwest Nazarene University but then reinstated after a student revolt.

Wrt the “short list of contradictions" perhaps one should look at the evidence they present before one looks at their credentials. The main author is clearly atheistic but again that should not invalidate the points he makes wrt the “phenomena of scripture”.

Have a nice trip. If you are so inclined I’d drive to Birmingham to meet for a meal (or you could stay overnight at our house in Huntsville) so that we can again see each other face-to-face. Lately we’ve been at each other throats blog-to-blog where it is easy to misunderstand. For instance I no longer know where you stand on the inerrancy question. My cell # is (256) 656-1328.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:10 am

Sandy

Worthen a necessary read

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:11 pm

1. I find it sad Pettybone pontificates, engages a thread at length about a book he refuses to read.

Worthen is a must read for any who would discuss inerrancey at it reviews the tragedy of the Southern Baptist Convention.

My late Grandfather Fox who passed in 79 with an 8th grade education probably would have no problem with ?Sandy's definition of inerrancy, but he championed two of his sons, and several grandchildren who got college and seminary educations who came to find the insidious way in which Criswell and Pressler politicized the term troublesome tom put it mildly, and was proud of a daughter in law- My Moother, who walked out on Charles Stanley and Jerry Vines for demonizing Randall Lolley.

4. In the last few days I happened on the summer fall 99 BHHS paper on the Ralph Elliot controversy of the early 60s. Much damage was done by Herschel Hobbs attemptsto massage the controversy; among other things no seminary proffs were allowed on the committee to rewrite the BFM of 63, Those boycotted included Roy Honeycutt and Morris Ashcraft.

That's where a careful reading of Worthen comes into play where she discusses staff at the BSSB in early 60s trying to gently introduced folks in the pew to what was going on with academic studies of the Bible.

WD Shorty Fox, loved the Bible as God's word, but he was proud friends of his sons like Randall Lolley and Stewart Newman and Bill Self were investigating it in ways Ken Chafin would champion when he said in 87 in my hearing: A "A Bible in the hands of a believer who will not submit it to rational means of investigation is a dangerous thing, and has often been used to buttress up injuxtice"!

That's where Jesse Helms and APressler's connections to the Far right came is as Bill Moyers called them out on it; and now we have Trey Gowdy's te Party operationg under the cover of FBC Spartanburg and Billy Graham whistling Dixie all the way through his deathbed!

Check NPR Fresh Aire yesterday on the latest on the Nixon Tapes and Nixon's Line of succession.

Such is Sandy's "inerrant" wolrd view!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Nelson Price on Wrong Side of History

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Stephen Fox

Bill Moyers and Grady Cothen speak to Sandy's bad take

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:55 pm

In last few days I've read the Bill Mpoyers intro to Brent Walker's tribute to James Dunn in the Amyth and Helwys tribute book of a few years ago. Moyers is scorching.

And for Sandy and William Thornton and others I have posted my Feb 21 89 letter from Grady Cothen in the History section of this board in the Harvard Expository thread.

Stephen Fox

Re: Bill Moyers and Grady Cothen speak to Sandy's bad take

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:09 pm

Ed Pettibone

Previous

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum