Olson on CBF

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Olson on CBF

Postby Matt Richard » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:29 pm

As one that considers himself to be a "moderate Texas Baptist," I think Olson points to some legitimate claims regarding the current trajectory in CBF life.
https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/texas/17510-truett-professor-asks-liberals-in-cbf-to-drop-moderate-label
Matt Richard

Re: Olson on CBF

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:57 am

Here's a link to the blog article:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolso ... t-friends/

A few of the best quotes from his blog article:

Roger Olson wrote:"I cannot help but believe that if Cecil Sherman were alive today he would have some harsh words of correction for some influential moderate Baptists, including some within the CBF, about resisting repetition of the old (or new) liberal theology that reduces “the faith” to being nice and inclusive to the exclusion of correct belief. I’m sure he would place limits on “soul competency”—a Baptist idea that some use to excuse heresy."

"Contrary to what some (not only moderate Baptists) believe, strongly affirming and adhering to basic Christian orthodoxy does not mean “fundamentalism.”

"However, I am a conservative among the moderates in the CBF and urge those moderate Baptists who are really liberal, in the historical sense, to drop the label moderate and just call themselves liberals. When they agree with Marcus Borg’s theology, for example, they are liberal, not moderate."

It's really a thoughtful blog, including some of Cecil Sherman's quotes on the matter. It will be interesting to see, another decade out, whether CBF can resist the temptation to form an identity centered on how they come down doctrinally when it comes to the hot button issues liberals push. In spite of a lot of high, churchy rhetoric infused with words like "inclusive", "accepting", and "dialoguing with each other," it seems that proponents of the more liberal view can't resist insisting on having their way, or at least making sure that any organization they belong to reflects their own values and beliefs, even though it may be to the detriment of the rest of the organization, or not accepted by the majority.

As best as I can tell, from its own website, CBF is an organization with a little over 900 supporting churches, perhaps a few more that might not be linked to the website or listed in the membership of their state organization. That's about half of what they started with, and that's consistent with the fact that their budget is now about half of what it was at its peak. It will be tough to weather a controversy, or even a heated disagreement, and keep such a fragile organization intact.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Based in Decatur, Ga., CBF is home to 1,800 churches and thousands of individuals, along with 18 state and regional organizations, more than 750 endorsed chaplains and pastoral counselors, nearly 50 ministry partners — including partnerships with 14 seminaries and theology schools — and 125 field personnel serving in more than 30 countries around the world.

http://www.cbf.net/about/

Since I lead the team that maintains the site, thought I'd throw that out.

The site's church locator is new - or, a new platform/version as the old one literally broke, beyond repair last year. It's a work-in-progress and far from complete b/c of the technical issues w/ the old platform. If you know of a church that should be on there, let me know.

And while you're on the site, do check out a new series of videos we released earlier in the month:

http://www.cbf.net/core-purpose/
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:51 am

As a conservative Southern Baptist really no longer involved in denominational life or happenings. I simply don't care that much any more.

I like your post. It does make me think though that those we saw going left and disrupting the SBC (as we defined it) may now be worried about those in the CBF who are going left and disrupting the CBF (as they defined it).

Interesting.

jle
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum