[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Gushee on the leaderless, rudderless CBF

Gushee on the leaderless, rudderless CBF

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: Gushee on the leaderless, rudderless CBF

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:08 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 am

Bruce is involved in a CBF church start, I think. The theological schools seem to be viable. I appreciate ABP's work. If I were a CBFer I'd appreciate the fellowship, networking and perhaps the ability to support some ministries more to my liking but I don't see much need for or results from a central organization. Maybe the state CBF organizations would be worth supporting and just a barebones umbrella organization to keep those I touch with each other and limited cooperative projects. It seems plain to me from a distance that the national CBF is going nowhere but south. I think sandy is right.

Dave and Neal are involved, presumably. What do you guys see here?

It's a thankless task but sandy and I are always happy to help out with CBF discussions here.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:02 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:12 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:54 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:26 am

The national group formed, set up an organization with a coordinating council, selected those who would be involved, and planned its partnerships around the main budget. It seemed to me (and I was still involved in CBF when this occurred) that the state groups that began to form were largely voluntary, aimed at bringing CBF supporters in a particular area together for fellowship, and to promote the work of the fellowship. But the states with the larger numbers of churches moved to establish executive offices and leadership posts, and those compete with the Atlanta office for the same percentage of funds from the same group of churches. With the majority of those churches also still contributing to the CP, that doesn't seem like smooth coordination.

I know that part of the reason given in Texas for forming a state organization with a paid coordinator was to increase the contact with the churches, keeping them informed, and committed to CBF, and to provide a resource so that churches don't drop out (and have a place to get recommendations when there is a pastoral vacancy).
Sandy

FBC Spartanburg and Gushee

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:09 pm

I got a smile out of Sandy's comment. Would love for FBC Sburg to host Gushee and I would do my best to make it up for the occasion. The Chaplain at nearby Limestone College in Gaffney, about a mile from where I lived from 62-78--would ride my bicycle over there three times a week to hit the wall on the tennis courts--is a Furman grad. Maybe we can get Worthen there if www.ginnybrant.com and trey gowdy don't have her at FBC Sburg first.

I do hope Thornton reads Worthen soon, as I have invited Gushee to do. Sandy missed a lot in his first read, and he won't take my word for it.

Maybe he'll listen to Thornton and Gushee if they can gently guide him through a reread of the text, a do-over.

P.S. Fumran is hosting President Clinton April 8 in Greenville, S,C, Doing my best to make the scene.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum