New CBF leader says, 'Let's start some churches.'

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: New CBF leader says, 'Let's start some churches.'

Postby Michael Wrenn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:
Michael Wrenn wrote:Just wanted to add this to what I said previously: I'm reminded that it was easier for Baptists to start congregations in rural areas even more so than Methodists. Baptists didn't need a circuit rider to bring the Gospel to them and set up a church. A Baptist farmer who felt called to preach could gather a handful of people together and start a church themselves. They could start baptizing and serving the Lord's Supper, with or without an ordained minister; they could draw up their own articles of faith, and own and control any property. They didn't need anyone outside of their group to give them permission to do anything or to take ownership of their property. It was similar with the Quakers -- get two people together and you had a church.

Certainly in Methodist theology there are no sacraments without a person authorized to preside over the sacraments. This is actually what pushed Wesley to ordain Coke and Asbury. The Anglican priests returned to England after the Revolutionary war leaving no one to baptize or give communion to Methodists.

Also for Methodists the Church is connectional. The idea of an independent congregation outside of the whole body of the UMC is foreign to our polity. Every church is under the superintendency of the Bishop, a Superintendent and the pastor in charge.

Yes, I know all that. That's one reason I couldn't be Methodist. :) Although at one time I thought I could and was actually considering ministry therein. But the polity and the UMC doctrine of infant baptism tripped me up.
Michael Wrenn

Re: New CBF leader says, 'Let's start some churches.'

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Michael Wrenn wrote:Yes, I know all that. That's one reason I couldn't be Methodist. :) Although at one time I thought I could and was actually considering ministry therein. But the polity and the UMC doctrine of infant baptism tripped me up.

I understand. I used to be quite a proponent of local church autonomy until I saw the dark side of that polity. As to infant baptism, if you don't have a sacramental understanding of baptism then you are going to have a problem with it. the idea of "ordinance" and infant baptist just don't go together.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Previous

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum