[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Very light reading on CBF, not much from ABP

Very light reading on CBF, not much from ABP

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Very light reading on CBF, not much from ABP

Postby Sandy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:18 pm

http://www.abpnews.com/ministry/organiz ... ces-change

I think ABP's coverage of the SBC carried more details, and more information, than this does.
Sandy

Re: Very light reading on CBF, not much from ABP

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:22 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:17 am

I had the chance to spend a little time with my son who was involved in the General Assembly. He seemed quite pleased, especially with the preaching and with Suzi Paynter. Of course, there are no resolutions at CBF, so the actions taken don't make good press. The restructuring was overwhelmingly adopted to give CBF a greater flexibility without having to bring a 69-member coordinating council into every situation. He felt Paynter struck the right tone for her inaugural. I have also heard from two other folks who were there who were pleased. Some 2,000 were in attendance, and if you look at the pictures, there are as many under 40 folks in them as those of us over 60. I think those young faces speak well for what CBF is about.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:46 am

Hmmm, the CBF attendance is about half of what the SBC attendance was in Houston. The CBFs budget is a tiny fraction of the SBC budget. CBF churches are but a sliver of the total of SBC churches.

I think it is fair to say that CBFers appear to be more interested in the future of their organization that do SBCers do theirs. Part of the reason why might be that the CBFs long term prospects are less assured than the SBCs.

Whatever...I wish my mod lib friends well for their future.

Look for a piece from me in hte near future on how the SBC could benefit by stealing a few of the CBFs ideas.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:29 am

William, cross-fertilization between SBC and CBF ideas could benefit both. The SBC is not the devil--sometimes it just acted that way back in the fight. The best thing the SBC could grasp is the effectiveness of a global perspective in missions which means that someone serving in an Arab country might be assigned for a time with refugees from that country who have come to the US, or a Spanish language leader from this country could be placed in a Latin context for a time. No more dividing the world.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:43 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:00 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:11 am

Can't handle good news Sandy? Is it possible it was just a great meeting and that there was little negative to comment about? or is it only journalism if it runs down the organization?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:12 am

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:19 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:23 am

Sandy, I'm sure cost could be a factor. I always remember the larger churches sent more messengers than the smaller churches because of cost. I'm just wondering if William thinks satisfaction with the SBC or something else, like apathy is at work. It seems like a very very small attendance for a congregational denomination with 45,000 churches. That comes to only about 1 messenger for every 10 churches. Are less than 10% of the churches sending representatives now?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:25 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:16 pm

It's funny how it cost the same thing to attend a CBF General Assembly as it does to attend the SBC. If there were 2,000 registered in Greensboro, as was reported in ABP and Sandy is right that there are only 1,800 churches supporting CBF, that means there was an average of more than one person per church attending. I'd say that's strong interest in what's going on, IMHO.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:42 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:51 pm

While I don't think the attendance at the SBC and CBF are completely comparable, it's no secret that the SBC attendance has been meager for years, necessitating a good bit of hand wringing. This year an SBC VP was elected with just a few hundred votes. My conjecture is that low attendance is due to:

1. It is expensive.
2. Younger pastors don't see value in attending.
3. It is boring as all get-out.
4. We just don't show up for all that strutting and backslapping like we used to.

I plan, tentatively, to attend next year in Baltimore.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:57 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:19 pm

William Thornton