[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Very light reading on CBF, not much from ABP

Very light reading on CBF, not much from ABP

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: Very light reading on CBF, not much from ABP

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Sandy, while you are painting doom and gloom for the CBF you may want to leave out a change of organizational structure as a sign of decline. A lot of church groups restructure regularly and many of them have gone to smaller more tightly focused leadership as opposed to large unwieldy boards. Often such decisions about about tighter focus and not always about dollars.

Also the departure of more than one executive staff members is often a sign of a new leader at the top and not a problem.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:06 am

I think I'm on pretty safe ground here in saying that if the SBC lost three of its agency executives, experienced a 45% decline in the Cooperative Program, moved its executive offices out of the building at Ninth and Commerce into old, unused space in the Lifeway complex, and downsized the executive board, most everyone here would be clicking their tongues and evaluating that as a sure sign of a decline that they predicted as a result of the alleged, but absolutely unproveable "takeover." So an honest appraisal of CBF, which won't be forthcoming from anyone involved with it, or its propaganda arm, ABP, has to come from outside. "Happy spin" and "put the best face on" are the bywords for CBF discussion here.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 am

I'm thinking that the problem you have with Sandy on this is that he has some facts.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:53 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:06 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 am

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:21 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am

Sandy I'm finding that you are someone that I really can't have a discussion with. You assume you have no biases making you one of the most biased people here because you are blind to your own biases. I know what mine are. You are welcome to assume that anything I say about the SBC comes from either my mistreatment within the denomination, mistreatment of my family, or my colleagues.

I'm not "turning it around the other way." You are biased against the CBF, it is clear in nearly every post you make about the organization, and it is as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. If you said something positive about the CBF I'd be tempted to check to see if you account had been hijacked.

You are right that this is a forum mostly consisting of people who aren't friends of the SBC. Again, so what. We all have our own experiences and biases that shape our viewpoints. But again, I'm not going to over look the fact that your negativity of all things CBF is a known factor in any post you make. I'm not going to assume you are unbiased and factual when you have so clearly displayed bias towards the organization.

The only person here I can think of that has no bias towards the CBF, or SBC are people here like Hauro who have never been members of either. Anyone else has a personal bias.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 am

Ed: TIm, I have never been a member of the KKK but I am biased against them. And I am not sure about Haruo's lack of bias regarding either the SBC or CBF . Otherwise you post above is right on target. But we do need to keep in mind that Sandy did have some experience in CBF not all of which was pleasant for one with his Baptistic bent. Some times the strength of our Baptist diversity, becomes a hindrance to our practice yet I have found nothing better for me. That is one reason we paticipate in both ABC and CBF. :)

I
TrudyU

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Sandy

Postby TrudyU » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 pm

TrudyU

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Sandy is right in the facts he gives but I'm intrigued by the larger picture of the CBF.

As I read Dave explain things, it looks like the CBF has a very slender national presence and budget and it looks like a few state organizations is where the action really is. It makes sense to me seeing that their support of schools is modest as is their missionary support.

I'm curious as to what the largest state organization's budget is.

We can all be right here once in a while.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Sandy, this isn't about facts it is about spin. You look at reorganization as a sign of disaster and others see it as an opportunity to fix an unwieldy structure that the CBF has had since the beginning. The fact is restructuring, the spin is your interpretation of the value and purpose of the restructuring which, as another outsider, you have no better idea of than I do.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:34 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 pm

My colleagues and I (a team of 4) covered so many events, meals, plenary sessions, workshops, etc. etc. that I lost count. I'm still recovering.

But, our news releases - one each day, Tuesday thru Friday - added up to well over 6,000 words. We wrote ALOT!

Also, I recruited CBF Fellows (the Fellows program is for pastors in their first years of post-seminary ministry) to write blog posts on the workshops and sessions that they attended. We have quite a few blog posts - I don't even know how many.

You can find ALL of our coverage including the blogs and news releases at CBFBlog.com. We post new material to CBFBlog.com each and every day of the week and have been doing an increasing number of news releases (compared to what CBF did in years past).

I'm also the new editor of fellowship! magazine. The next issue will be my first issue as editor (I was the associate editor on the previous two issues). If you don't get that magazine, it's free at http://www.thefellowship.info/fellowship (I know most here already receive it, although the SBCers and Methodist here might not - be sure to get it)

The easiest way to keep up with CBF news coverage is by liking our page on Facebook and following us there - unless, of course, you are like me and still keep up with news the old-fashioned way, via a RSS reader (RIP Google Reader).

Here are the major news releases but do check out the blog if you are interested in reading some of the blogger posts:

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:37 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:34 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:37 am

TrudyU

A family story

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:54 am

Of all my cousins who are Baptist affiliated, it splits about half CBF and SBC. And both our grandparent sets were strongly SBC in their day, we're talking seminary, preachers, deacons, Sunday School teacher the whole cult.

As Baptist bred as Jerry Vines.

Recently a relative whose longterm church membership has been totally aligned with SBC, on his facebook wall made a shoutout to the preacher to read about the good assembly and good work the CBF was doing.

Thornton and Sandy have their indices, here's mine.

Have influentials in the congregation,the literate ones ever mindful that God is no respecter of persons, have them read Giberson and Stephens The Anointed. Take FBC Spartanburg S.C. Those Tea Party/Billy Graham Southern Baptists who are oh so proud of Trey Gowdy, send their Children to Baylor, Wofford, Furman, Davidson and don't think twice about it.

Until you have all the congregation writing off Ga Tech, UGA etc, then this whole Inerrancy thing was a Ruse. In every SBC church where nobody bats an eye at the children going to notable liberal arts school of higher ed, well you got a lot of denominational hypocrisy goin on.

Now, William and Sandy, tell me it aint so. And both of you are about four years behind reading Giberson and Stephens!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

A reading of some weight on CBF

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:23 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

PreviousNext

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum