[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - David Burroughs examines CBF at outset of Paynter era

David Burroughs examines CBF at outset of Paynter era

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: David Burroughs examines CBF at outset of Paynter era

Postby William Thornton » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:35 am

I don't mind being insulted occasionally but to say "don't feed the troll" escalates things by referring in an insulting manner using the third person to someone who has been here for years and years.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:35 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:59 am

Thank you Haruo. It appeared that William was doing so.

What I was agreeing with out of Ed's overall statement is that it is basically a waste of time to discuss SBC or CBF with Sandy.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 am

I understand. And I think that's probably what Ed meant, he just used a term that for many of us is much more forcefully derogatory than he intended. I don't think he was saying Sandy is a troll, but that responding to him on these topics is at least analogously "feeding a troll". Like saying "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater", which doesn't necessarily mean there's a baby involved.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:24 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 pm

There isn't a "view" here that is in need of change. There's a question. It's been noted that the new CBF coordinator has a condo in Atlanta, and a home in Austin, and though no one, at least associated with CBF, has come right out and said it, is obviously commuting regularly between the two locations. It's been noted that the salary is undisclosed. It has also been acknowledged repeatedly over the past five or six years that CBF has been forced to take steps to reduce its budget, and cut spending. I think that legitimizes the question of who is paying the bill, and how much it is. If you publicly announce the cash-strapped status of your organization, and plead with your constituency to give more, why is there a problem with someone asking a question about how much money is going into executive administration and what it is being used to do?

There's pretty much open season on questioning the SBC and everything it does here, from Shorter University to NAMB. This particular thread makes it pretty clear that the same standards do not apply to CBF, and that no questioning of anything it does will be tolerated.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:35 am

Ed: Tim, thanks for understanding and defending my point while I have been preoccupied for a few days. My use may not have exactly been precise, but when I found "Troll = a person who posts to an internet discussion group or chat room with the sole purpose of disrupting it.

Since when did my favorite message board get taken over by trolls?

Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." @ the Online Dictionary of Slang it seemed to be very close to what I see in Sandy's constant jabs at CBF.

On the other hand Sandy does often make some good points on other topics. :|

I have been busy with both Regional and Associational activity and out shopping for an all wheel drive vehicle to replace my gas guzzling Jimmy before another winter.. Some folk I trust tell me it is getting to be the time of year to do that, By November I hope to be down to one car. Till now I had been pretty clueless about what the 4 wheel, all wheel, part time, fulltime, on demand mix in the market was like. Hyundai offered me a pretty good Owner Loyalty incentive to go from my Sonata to a Tuscon but their are some smaller cars of intrest. For the next five days the Suzuki Kasashai is the best buy on the planet with $7,000 off all models. They also have great deal on the SX 4's since they a getting out of the American car market. The SX 4 is fun but too small for me as an only vehicle, we considered it in 2007. Around here all of their SUV's are SOLD out.

Right now I am leaning toward a Subaru Crosstreck, best Gas mileage I have found in all wheeldrive. at 33 MPG overall. That is up 12 for the Jimmy and 4 for the Hyundai which is only FWD Of course the new Sonatas do better but do not have AWD. Subaru's Impreza is fun but Trudy likes the extra height in the Crosstreck. However If we where buying this week it would the Suzuki. We had a 96 Sidekick and loved it but in 2001 when she took a position across Cincinnati from us, with about 6 miles of a curvy non-divided raceway plus several Miles of that cities famous 7 hills, I bought her a Grand Prix for safety sake. Had I Known we would be coming to Upstate NY I would have kept the Sidekick and let her use my car for work. Right now I plan to drive the Hyundai another 4 or 5K between now and July. Including the 3K to the ABC-USA Biennial and the CBF Assembly, both in in June.
TrudyU

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:38 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 am

Ed we recently bought a Subaru Outback. Sioux City is very hilly and we historically get a good bit of snow. My house is at the top of a large hill. The good news is that I never have to worry about flooding. But my wife was concerned about driving in all the winter weather here. We really like the Outback. The all wheel drive gets very good traction and control on bad roads.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:08 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:21 pm

TrudyU

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:24 pm

TrudyU

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm glad you like the Subaru! We are taking ours to the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore in a couple of weeks.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Have fun! I spent anywhere from three to ten days in the Black Hills practically every summer as a kid (driving through en route, usually, to or from Green Lake, Wisconsin). We generally stayed in a housekeeping cabin at the Game Lodge. I have very fond memories of Paha Sapa, and haven't been back since I was 14.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Previous

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum