[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Suzii Paynter, CBF Exec. Director nominee

Suzii Paynter, CBF Exec. Director nominee

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Suzii Paynter, CBF Exec. Director nominee

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 am

Hate to do you guy's work for you but this discussion should no longer be under "secret" leader nominee.

....and I'm pleased to see that an organization in need of fresh new vision and infusion looks to someone my age to provide that.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Suzii Paynter, CBF Exec. Director nominee

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:10 am

The most visionary people in my last two churches have been senior adults. They already know what doesn't work. The traditionalists are often younger.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:27 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:54 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 pm

I like what I'm hearing about her.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm

So I guess I'm unclear what the polity is for choosing this position. Is she hired by the coordinating council? Or does the CBF general assembly (or whatever it is called) vote her into the new position? Or is there some other mechanism?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm just curious. It doesn't really matter to me of course.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:15 am

I am pretty certain that the Coordinating Council has the power to employ staff. It would be wise for the General Assembly to confirm their decision, but it's not required. CBf operates on a modified congregational/presbyterial polity, that is often confusing. Basically, the Coordinating Council operates as CBF between assemblies, somewhat like the SBC Executive Committee, but the analogy is not precise.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:50 am

Last edited by Tim Bonney on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Frankly Sandy making all this about regionalism is a bit sad. You are making a lot of assumptions about how decisions might have been made without being there. I wondered how long it would take for you to criticize the CBF whatever its decision was. You are predictable that way.

As to them choosing a woman, I see nothing wrong with them choosing a qualified woman either to make a statement or not. If you are going to support women's leadership you do need to put your money where your mouth is and actually choose women leaders.
Last edited by Tim Bonney on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Since the questions are raised, is this not a confirmation of the CBF it's in its direction of being a 'presence' organization with a main thrust on social issues and little on evangelism and church planting? I read the publications and news reports of significant CBF events and this is the strong impression I receive. Of course, I may have some neurological deficiency that prevents me from grasping the greater mod/lib truths here.

I look at the original CBF luminaries and find highly successful pastors and the former evangelist Vestal (who once preached mightily on the importance of the Gospel at CBF events). I don't see much in that direction now.

Is there any optimism of the CBF being an expanding fellowship or in a slow, steady drift towards being like the more liberal Baptist groups (Alliance).

And, Timothy, regionalism was a major matter in the recent revisioning, was it not? Seems I recall something about apportionment of funds.

...but whaddo I know?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Last edited by Tim Bonney on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 pm

I find it amazing that the last four negative comments come from one who has never been a part of CBF and never attended a CBF meeting and has to the best of my knowledge only met one CBFer (myself) in person and yet can have such absolute opinions.

Another is from a simi SBC loyalist who has attended parts of one or two CBF Assemblies.

Another is a Former Baptist, SBC and ABC, But now Methodist with minimal, if any direct CBF experience.

And One who tried CBF for a few years and seems to have had their feeling hurt because cause a friend a friend of who he supported lost an election has not been active for some time and has instead been critical at many points.

I do think Most but not all of Sandy's comment in reference to "regionalism" at on target. 0n the other hand I think the Comments about George Mason's leadership of the search committee are sour grapes.

And when Sandy says "And the other question is how will this be viewed among Texas Baptists, particularly in the BGCT, where the perception of Paynter's leadership of the CLC has been perceived as equivocal at best, and out of step with the expressed views of BGCT messengers?"

I would like to know what Sandy means by Paynter's leadership of the CHL being "Equivocal at best" and out of step with the expressed views of BGCT Messengers.

With the number of oldline conservative (not fundamentalist) SBCers Who did not Bail out of the BGCT when the new convention hardwired to the SBC was started It is not surprising that a progressive, especially a female progressive would have some strong opposite within the BGCT. Now Perhaps sandy will break with the usual backhanded non informative accusations. And provide some specific of his criticism of Ms. Paynter .

Here I agree with Tim Bonney 110% when he says; "Not picking a pastor or evangelist for the position actually may be an acknowledgement that you need a good administrator more than a good pulpiteer in this job. Often I've seen gifted pastors who were not administrators. The job is "Coordinator" not "preacher" or "evangelist." It looks to me like they've chosen to fill the position with someone whose gifts very well may be more in coordination." Yea, that 110 % is deliberate!
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:57 pm

OK, Ed. Where do you think the CBF will be going organizationally with the new leader (about whom I have not uttered a single word of criticism)?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Ed as far as I'm aware I didn't say anything negative about the CBF. As to my level of experience, I'm sure it was much less than yours. But I have attended part of two CBF national meetings, was a member of a CBF church for several years, my pastor at the time was the CBF's first moderator, and as recently as my pastorate in Des Moines I gave money to the CBF. I like and respect the CBF and its work. If you heard something negative in this thread you misread me.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks Ed. No apology necessary.

I would say also that the national coordinator not being a pastor or evangelist says nothing about a priority on evangelism one way or another. Heads of mission agencies are often not missionaries. Commanders in Chief aren't members of the military. If the task promotion, coordination, and taking care of the CBF structure that looks to me like a job for a fine administrator.

William I'd also note that the ABC historically has a much more even handed view of evangelism and social justice ministries. The CBF may be an organization more in that historic mold rather than the SBC's view of evangelism and mission.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Sandy

Postby Jerry_B » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm

She is definitely an insider by any reasonable definition of the term as is Mason and Wilshire. Visionary is not exactly the word I would use to describe her or the entire process. They got the diversity box checked in choosing a woman and an experienced box gets a check as well but I think the visionary box is left blank.
Jerry_B

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Sandy

Next

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum