[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Suzii Paynter, CBF Exec. Director nominee

Suzii Paynter, CBF Exec. Director nominee

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: Suzii Paynter, CBF Exec. Director nominee

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Ircel Harrison has a pedigree, but as far as I can tell, his name doesn't come up in any lists of experts on the subject of attracting young people into the church. He is a professional consultant in the area of "leadership development" primarily focused in "leadership coaching" but I don't see anything in his pedigree to qualify him as an expert, or to demonstrate any expertise in the area of reaching and keeping younger people in the church. He doesn't even claim that expertise for himself. It looks like he was enough of an insider in the Tennessee Baptist Convention to have the friends he needed in CBF to make a successful career transition. Beyond that, he is clearly a CBF insider on the same level as Mason and Paynter, which clearly established the bias from which he writes.

But talking about Harrison is a diversion. He names four specific areas which CBF "must" address under its new leadership. Authentic discipleship and worship-related issues are pretty general. Is this a call, from an influential position, for CBF to drop its policy against hiring gay and lesbian employees? Is it a call to become completely welcoming and affirming? Is universalism a de-facto faith statement of the CBF?

BTW, Ed, I would be glad to list my "pedigree" for you, along with my work experience.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 pm

BTW, Hauro a UMC pastor can be tried for heresy but most of what is in the Book of Discipline are rules of organization and procedure. The doctrinal section of the book is pretty thin. Think of the rest of it as church bylaws for all the different kinds of church structures and agencies. If the ABC put all the bylaws for all the different church organizations in one book it would probably be a weighty as the BOD.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:50 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 am

I suppose Hell could be Heaven for a really dedicated masochist...

But anyhow, I believe (with the Quakers, if we're looking for buttresses) that every human being (indeed, all that hath life and breath) has within it that which is of God. I don't believe that the pervasiveness of sin can eliminate that. And I believe that in the judgment the chaff of the first Adam is burned away and the gold of God, of Christ, revealed.

I don't see a way to reconcile ultimate, eternal condemnation with either my belief that Jesus saves, and that God is not willing that any should be lost, and that God looked at everything he had made and pronounced it good, or my own experience of alcoholism.

But I don't think God will send anyone to hell for disagreeing with me on this... it'll all come out in the wash.

BTW, this "Universalism" subtopic is way way way off into threaddriftland, and not even particularly pertinent to the initial mention (by William) in relation to CBF. So I have started a in the General (Baptist Faith & Practice) Forum for anyone who wishes to continue this topic.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 am

Hauro we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. For me if you take away the choice to follow God or not then it takes away that which is essential to being in the image of God in the first place. If some how, no matter what I believe, think, feel, or want, I am going to be persuaded to follow God against all my own judgement then I have no free will and am not an autonomous being. I can't buy that. For me that would mean God thinks less of me and not more. We don't show our love for our adult children by forcing them to live our way even if we are sure our way is right because they are adults and get to choose.

I think we put way too much emphasis on the purposes of God being heaven or hell. Being a Christian is about follow Christ, seeking to grow into the image of Christ and by God's grace hoping to be more like Christ each day. It isn't just Divine Fire Insurance. If people don't want to walk with God now why would they want to spend an eternity with God later?

Also, hell as an eternal burning fire in which people roast for eternity already has theological problems that have nothing to do with universalism but may cause people to want to be universalists because they assume Dante's view of hell is what is taught in the Bible. Eternal separation from God and eternal torment aren't necessarily the same thing despite how Christians have conflated Dante into our view of hell.
Last edited by Tim Bonney on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Prudent thinking on CBF's future

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum