[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF Interim Coordinator on Senior Staff Departures

CBF Interim Coordinator on Senior Staff Departures

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

CBF Interim Coordinator on Senior Staff Departures

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:42 am

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Re: CBF Interim Coordinator on Senior Staff Departures

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:03 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:33 am

Ed: I think that when Sandy says, "These five leaders have seen the proverbial handwriting on the wall. You can't really blame them. Maybe they are finding 'enhanced forms through which to express their own CBF identities', but I think they are finding different streams of revenue from which to draw their salary", perhaps he may be projecting his own motivation for his vocational choice to work outside Baptist Life, upon these five.
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:03 am

I am merely curious about the CBF, it's future, etc., but it cannot be described without being referenced as a steeply declining organization, at least on the national level. A new leader has virtually no chance of regenerating the kinds of budgets they had earlier and is likely to be seen as an administrative manager of a small revenue stream and a public face for a small segment of Baptist life, not that there is anything wrong with all that

I would be interested in hearing what the committees CBF folks here think about the future.

Isn't the real movement in CBF life taking place in the state organizations?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 am

I've always found the local church to be the best place to be. I've had some opportunities at denominational positions over the years all of which I turned down or chose not to pursue further. Right now being a denominational employee (and I think this applies to CBF too) is an uncertain business. Most denominations are cutting staff, agencies, and budgets. Some are doing so simply because the money isn't there. Others are choosing a "leaner and meaner" approach to structure.

But, local churches are also experiencing financial difficulties. So second staff positions are becoming rarer. I understand that only about 10% of UMC congregations have a full-time Associate Pastor and that those positions are becoming fewer. In fact the church I serve currently has two part-time staff doing what was once done by an Associate because frankly it is cheaper to get several part-timers than it is to pay all the benefits for a full-time ordained clergy person. The cost of full-time staff just continues to rise year after year with healthcare costs continuing to go up, etc.

All that being said, if the CBF is having budgetary issues I don't think that is all that unique or different. It may have little to do with what the CBF is or isn't doing. It may be just part of the bigger trend in church and denominational giving which in nearly every place is down.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum