[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF Leadership Departures...

CBF Leadership Departures...

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

CBF Leadership Departures...

Postby Tim Dahl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:38 pm

I read this article about to head up the OK/KS State CBF organization. Then, at the end of the article, there is a link to another article about along with other people leaving their positions. It mentions quite a few people, actually.

I remember being told by Nash that he was going to McAfee at the Gathering here in Fort Worth. That made me sad. Now, it seems that quite a few more top level people are leaving. It makes me wonder about who will be replacing them. Is this where we get more people like Colleen Burroughs with a pro-gay agenda, or others like Daniel Vestal?

I know that I've been told that there isn't a movement underway in the CBF to make it swing more to the left. But, with this many upper level folks moving, there is a great opportunity for something like that to happen.

If anything, there certainately seems to be a widening vacume at the upper levels of CBF leadership.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Re: CBF Leadership Departures...

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:20 pm

I have known Steve Graham and worked with him for several years in the IME. I'm not surprised at his heading back to the Midwest. I don't see this time as one at all for a pro-gay agenda shift. As is often true, there is a great deal of uncertainty when the person who brought you into an organization retires. I know this first hand.

I am doing an interim, and we are losing our associate this month. When the senior pastor who brought him was gone, he began a search. That, I suspect, is what is happening with those closely tied to Dan Vestal.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Dahl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Dave and Ed,

Thank you for the reply. I'm sure you are right. This seems to be a time of tranistion, of one season ending and another beginning. I also like the idea of the state organizations becoming more of a player in the CBF future. Granted, that probably won't happen in TX; but you never know.

Thanks again for the reply.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Sandy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Vestal, Nash, Hamrick, McDade, Graham. Wow. I can't imagine what the thread of discussion would be like here if that many key, higher up personnel were all departing from the SBC at the same time. Of course, in Baptist life, when the head of an organization departs, it's a signal to update the resume and start circulating it. Perhaps there is some eye on budget giving as well. I've been in situations where a budget depending on a particular level of income is set, but the income doesn't meet the expectation. That's when bottom line expenses have to be cut, like personnel. I know a lot of people who work within the various structures of Baptist life who often have to consider a job working at a place where there is a different, more reliable budget stream.

With that much of a vacuum in high level leadership, there will be those among the more "progressive" leaders in CBF who will see this as an opportunity to move the fellowship in what they see as a more progressive direction. This is a small organization, with a very small core of individuals in leadership. Most of them are Baptists who know how to maneuver, and get the maximum result from the influence they bring to bear. I'm sure that, under the surface, the search committee to replace Daniel Vestal must be quite an interesting experience. Being "progressive" is a mark of an intellectual spirituality for most of these people, and they will come to the point where they will either make an attempt to move the fellowship closer to their vision for it, or they will leave and form their own organization. They've expressed contempt for the SBC and its view they call "anti-homosexual." They have a lot of influence on the coordinating council, and among the officers, many who share their view. They've taken a very typical Baptist denominational approach to effecting change by hosting a conference with a strong, intellectual agenda that helped them gauge their support level. In the leadership vacuum, they'll move quickly.
Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Nash (a good family friend) came from academia and is returning to academia. The timing of his departure is not significant. Positions in Baptist Higher Ed for someone like him - with that level of experience - don't open up every year or every other year.

I had dinner with Hamrick at the Dunn-Leonard shindig in Winston-Salem earlier this year. He's of retirement age and ready to move on to the next chapter.

McDade is departing for what sounds like a new and exciting challenge with Johnny P. at Baptists Today.

I don't know Steve Graham, can't comment on that.

The timing is just a matter of coincidence and convenience from my vantage point.

And I agree with Ed, it's not fair to claim that Colleen has a "pro-gay" agenda - not that there's anything wrong with being "pro-gay" but all Colleen did was suggest that the policy banning hiring of gays needed to be changed.

She didn't call on the CBF to adopt some official position on homosexuality as the Alliance of Baptists has done. Frankly, I'm not aware of her views on the subject at all. So, to suggest she has some broad agenda on gay-related issues is unfair.

What are you experiences with the state organization here Tim? My CBF friends in the area aren't entirely sure what CBF of Texas does? When there is a meeting, I know some who complain that they only heard about it after the fact. Aside from a email newsletter, I don't think CBF of Texas does much in the way of communications.

That said, I'd certainly love to get paid what the head of CBF TX makes. I bet you would too!
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:20 am

Ed: Thanks Aaron, for the back up about Colleen.

But since when does CBF Texas have some one designated as the "head"? I have an idea that James Dunn might resist that term for the position.

BTW, In round figures what does the Texas CBF Coordinator make and is Rick McClatchy still in that position? I didn't see him in Tampa last year and we didn't make it to Texas this year. We first met Rick at a Meeting of what was then the North Central Region and he was the featured speaker, he was then employed in Oklahoma as their CBF Coordinator. That Meeting was at ABC's Judson College (now Judson University) in Elgin, IL, near Chicago.

And Speaking of Terry Hamrick His book Gives a good bit of insight to this thread

Leadership in Constant Change by Terry Hamrick Price:$ 14.95
Change. It just keeps coming. The question is how will leaders respond? What can you do to help your church when old ways no longer work? Use adaptive leadership principles to help discover God’s vision for your church.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:53 am

I'm not positive. This is my best memory - I'd have to go find my papers from the 2011 CBF in Tampa. But the entire compensation package is over 90K (if I'm remembering correctly).

I definitely don't have a problem with 90K. But, I expect for a salary like that, you ought to have a visible presence in the state of Texas. CBF of Texas is not what I'd call visible - and that very well may be on purpose.

Other states with many CBF churches like Virginia and North Carolina have strong state organizations.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:26 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:36 am

I don't have any concern about what anyone is making in the CBF but BDW you might clarify if you mean Salary or Compensation Package. If you mean Compensation Package that usually means salary, insurance, retirement, reimbursements for business expenses, continuing education, etc. In some positions that comes to 40-50% of the salary. So you could be telling me that the coordinator is going to make $90K in Salary or you might actually be saying he is make more like 50K in salary and 40K in benefits. That would be a whole different animal.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:26 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:28 pm

I agree that those leaders who are now gone are probably aware of the kinds of changes and cuts that will have to be made in the future which would have an impact on them in some form or fashion.

I was referring to total compensation package which (again if I remember correctly) was divided into about four categories: salary, housing, retirement, health insurance.

I'm pretty sure other work-related expenses were counted elsewhere on the budget.

I guess I've just wondered - and I'm not alone - if there's 90K in value in that position when the CBF of TX organization is barely visible, if it's visible at all.

I remember filling out a card at the CBF in Tampa, CBF of Texas was asking folks to become more involved in CBF of Texas. I filled it out. Got a brief e-mail from the Coordinator who said someone would be in contact. Never heard a peep, two years later.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Yea, I understand that. And I'm not one of those who is opposed to generous compensation packages.

The difference in this case is that the pastors you mention serve a church that has weekly worship services and a host of other activities. I'm not sure many know exactly what CBF of Texas does given their lack of visibility (invisible even in the Baptist Bubble where I reside).
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:03 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:39 am

Ed thanks for the info. I did read what you had to say above. From the way you describe the organization it sounds like regional or state bodies do a variety of things. I think, now that you mention Indiana and Kentucky, that the lone church in Iowa, Ashworth Road Baptist Church, had connected up with the Missouri CBF at times. But again, I don't have connections with Ashworth Road other than a passing acquaintance with their former pastor who later followed me at FBC Des Moines.

Missouri is the only CBF organization I knew much if anything about because my home church growing up, Kirkwood Baptist Church, had members involved in that organization.

Most of the existence of the CBF I was in the ABC. Over the years I occasionally sent contributions to the CBF. But I never was involved in the organization.

When the CBF was first coming together I was a young pastor in a small Baptist church in Illinois. At the time CBF had no help for placement in CBF churches and most of the participants looked like large churches and their pastors. That isn't a criticism. Someone had to get the thing started. Also, at the time when I decided to leave SBC work I didn't see the CBF as a viable option for me because the CBF chose to stay within the SBC fold and I wasn't willing to do that.

During that time I had conversations with the UMC, the ABC, and the DoC. The pastor who was talking to me in the UMC at that time did a really bad job of representing the UMC and scared me off or I might have been a United Methodist years sooner. I was just getting into conversations with the DoC when I had a very good meeting with an Area Minister in Indiana who really impressed me and so that is the direction I chose to go.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Ed: Thanks Tim for that reply. I do want to correct one impression.

Where you say "Also, at the time when I decided to leave SBC work I didn't see the CBF as a viable option for me because the CBF chose to stay within the SBC fold and I wasn't willing to do that".

It is unfortunate that you didn't talk to some CBF folk and communicate that. Some folk in CBF had already left the SBC when CBF was formed. Others left as soon after the formation of CBF. Others as their they could discuss it with their churches. Some CBF affiliated Churches indeed stay in the SBC until this day. Others stayed only until all of the older SBC committed folk died off or until they where convinced that CBF is not a "bunch of liberal heretics" as claimed by the SBC'S Baptist press. You could have been dually alined ABC/CBF as where/are some. Illinois and Indiana ABC-USA regions have generally had CBF Friendly field ministers and State Executives too the best of my knowledge. I will admit that some CBF Folk in the northern regions seem to have a rebel flag mentality. And I am persuaded that is why CBF has not grown up here. I will also confess that had he not had several years of ABC-USA experience after leaving SBTS I would not have considered voting for our new NYS-ABC Executive Minister. I have yet to discuss with him, his feelings about CBF. Their are not enough folk on our Board of Missions, who understand CBF, for me to have brought it up when Jim and Debbie interviewed with us after recommendation of the Search committee.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:43 pm

It has been a lot of years Ed. But I think I was aware that some churches were leaving the SBC. I had a more radical view of the whole situation. I wanted to see the CBF break away entirely. At that time I was very angry with the behavior of the SBC I there wasn't anything that was going to get me to be in a church that maintained any SBC affiliation.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:03 pm

http://www.abpnews.com/ministry/organiz ... CcmkaO3PyI

ABP's and Baptist Today's take on the departures, with one more added.

I was a member of what is arguably one of Texas' most visible, inner-circle CBF congregations for something like 13 years. I do not recall there ever being mention made of the state CBF organization. Even though the church eventually severed its ties to the SBC, though it still had a number of members who contributed to the CP, the BGCT was the overwhelming influence and denominational connection of the church, even before it left the SBC. The national CBF got some attention, the state organization wasn't on the radar screen.

More and more, in spite of the lack of mention of it, this looks like a reaction to shrinking budget giving and the coming shift of emphasis and direction when Vestal steps down. The people who are leaving are in a position to observe where the budget receipts are coming from, and would have intimate knowledge of why they are dropping. They know the numbers, the churches, and the trends.

I shared Timothy's view, back when I first became involved with CBF, that it should break away from the SBC entirely and encourage as many churches as it could to get off the fence and follow along. Dual affiliation hasn't worked to their advantage. Many of the churches that originally supported both groups stopped their CBF giving when there was a pastor change. Several state conventions have forced churches to make a choice by disfellowshipping congregations that support both groups, and most of those churches drop their CBF support when that happens. It might be a smaller organization, perhaps as many as 600 or 700 churches altogether, but it wouldn't have stretched its resources too far. The other thing they should have done was a more deliberate, and better funded effort at church planting. The more churches it creates on its own that haven't been SBC affiliated, the better off it will be.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:10 am

Ed: :) Sandy what you say points up the truth of what I have been saying; There is No singular model of state organization for CBF.

When you write "I was a member of what is arguably one of Texas' most visible, inner-circle CBF congregations for something like 13 years. I do not recall there ever being mention made of the state CBF organization. Even though the church eventually severed its ties to the SBC, though it still had a number of members who contributed to the CP, the BGCT was the overwhelming influence and denominational connection of the church, even before it left the SBC. The national CBF got some attention, the state organization wasn't on the radar screen."

I am of the opinion that you may have been to close to the forest to see the trees. That "Inner-circle of CBF" may have in fact been the State CBF of Texas at the time. OR it may have been but a set of "CBF wheels" attached to the chassis called the BGCT. Some times working with other sets of Wheels such as "the Texas Baptist Commited" later to develop in to a national organization called Mainstream Baptist. And then when I Texas I hear of other pieces of the Baptist tapestry. Please forgive my mixing of metaphors but to an outsider Texas Baptists are close to undefinable.

Ed: My second National CBF assembly was in Texas (Houston?) about 1997 when CBF was but 6 years old. Now, you can not tell me that All of those Texas folk had no organization. And that was in you 13 year span. My first Assembly was in Louisville the year before. I was involved with local transportation. Including this year back in Texas (Again), I have only missed three since then.

I make no claim for understanding TEXAS they remind me of Johny Cash's Cadillac in "One piece at a time" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4pAwosnIQE But it does seem that Texas is more important than Baptist down there. Money and power seem to be more important than about any where else I have been Some where in all of that is a genuine Love of Jesus But they seem to still do a lot of infighting for a right hand seat in Glory.
Ed Pettibone

Next

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum