Denominational leader Jimmy Allen dies

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Denominational leader Jimmy Allen dies

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 am

Jimmy Allen, visionary denominational leader, dies
Jimmy R. Allen, the last moderate president of the Southern Baptist Convention and executive director emeritus of the New Baptist Covenant, died early Jan. 8 at Southeast Georgia Health System in Brunswick, Georgia.

His pastor, Tony Lankford of First Baptist Church of St. Simons Island, said the 91-year-old had been in failing health. Funeral arrangements are pending.
Rvaughn

Re: Denominational leader Jimmy Allen dies

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:09 pm

I copied this to this forum.

My brother lives in SSI and had some business interaction with JA. When my brother volunteered that his brother was an SBC pastor, Jimmy insisted on saying hello (we never met) and sent me a picture of he and his wife.

He was before my time. The last moderate SBC president and had a resume comparable or superior to most any Baptist. Although he opposed the CR, his way was much superior to the angry tone of Dilday, the Shermans, and Chafin.

RIP.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

William Thornton wrote:I copied this to this forum.

My brother lives in SSI and had some business interaction with JA. When my brother volunteered that his brother was an SBC pastor, Jimmy insisted on saying hello (we never met) and sent me a picture of he and his wife.

He was before my time. The last moderate SBC president and had a resume comparable or superior to most any Baptist. Although he opposed the CR, his way was much superior to the angry tone of Dilday, the Shermans, and Chafin.

RIP.

Ed: William in what way did you find Allen different to what you call "the angry tone of Dilday The Shermans and Chafin?" Also I am wondering what you mean that he was before your time. I recognize he was probably 20 t0 25 years older at the time you where entering ministry, however he was still quite active. Or perhaps you are not as old as you sound at times. :lol:
Last edited by JE Pettibone on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JE Pettibone

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Sounds good. I was somewhat unsure of the most fitting location for the announcement, since Allen's denominational work spanned SBC, CBF, and NBC.
Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:

RIP.

Ed: Willim in what way did you find Allen different to what you call "the angry tone of Dilday The Shermans and Chafin?"

Just my personal observation, Ed.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:54 pm

I got to hear Rev. Allen speak some years ago. I'm sorry to hear about his passing.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:40 pm

William Thornton wrote:
JE Pettibone wrote:

RIP.

Ed: William, in what way did you find Allen different to what you call "the angry tone of Dilday ,The Shermans and Chafin?"

WM: Just my personal observation, Ed.

Ed: Having had had a good deal of my own personal observation and contact with both Cecil Sherman at the CBF Assembly in Memphis (2007) and, Ken Chafin when he was my Pastor in early 1990 and again while Trudy was doing a supervised ministry experience at Walnut Street BC in 1997 after he had become Pastor Emeritus. He was also in our SS class. In addition after having observed Dr. Allen's presentation at an auxiliary event of the 1995 SBC annual meeting and having been a frequent viewer of his program on the Acts Network when he was President of the Radio and TV Commission of the SBC. In 2016 he and I had an excellent opportunity for a good deal of one on one discussion before sessions, of the New Baptist Covenant meeting in Atlanta. We where probably the oldest two people there. I have an idea that what you call what you call "the angry tone' of certain moderates was their personal expression of grief over the turn of the SBC. I regret anew that Trudy and I missed taking him up on his invitation to visit as we passed St. Simmons Island last year due to the hurricane the previous week.
JE Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:10 pm

BP has a nice obit. I'll link it later.

Was one of the more accomplished SBC Presidents.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Heard him preach in 1980 at FBC Knoxville

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm

And spoke to him on couple occasions during convocations after the Takeover.

His work with New Baptist Covenant with President Carter is one of his greater legacies.

My Dad was at the 76 Convention in Atlanta, a good year for Baptists, on the Eve of the Carter Presidency when Allen was elected.

Thornton is mistaken about Chafin, Dilday and Cecil Sherman but we'll take that up later.

I mean do you make pretty with the Birchers and the White Citizens Councils. What did Jesus do in the temple. He wrecked the place and threw the money changers out. Chafin and Sherman were Christ Imitators.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Not trying to jump ahead of William, but in case he forgot -- perhaps this is the obit his mentioned:
Jimmy Allen, SBC pres. & 'energetic dreamer,' dies
Rvaughn

Re: Heard him preach in 1980 at FBC Knoxville

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Stephen Fox wrote:And spoke to him on couple occasions during convocations after the Takeover.

His work with New Baptist Covenant with President Carter is one of his greater legacies.

My Dad was at the 76 Convention in Atlanta, a good year for Baptists, on the Eve of the Carter Presidency when Allen was elected.

Thornton is mistaken about Chafin, Dilday and Cecil Sherman but we'll take that up later.

I mean do you make pretty with the Birchers and the White Citizens Councils. What did Jesus do in the temple. He wrecked the place and threw the money changers out. Chafin and Sherman were Christ Imitators.

Ed: Fox you need to reread the the story of Jesus driving out the money changers and merchants. True he made a mess of the courts of the Gentiles, but your rhetorical question "What did Jesus do in the Temple." ( even though you use a period) and your statement that "He wrecked the place." leaves the impression that he wrecked the temple, an impression that is overkill in my opinion.
JE Pettibone

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum