The Next Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

The Next Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:13 pm

My friend Echol Nix on faculty at Furman University has at least one friend who recommends him that strongly. I don't know, I've never heard Echol preach, but sight unseen I do recommend his book. I have gotten word to John Pierce hoping someone will review the book for Baptists Today soon.
In the meantime, get the word around Atlanta. Maybe President Carter will have Echol guest the pulpit at Plains in the coming year. I will get the word around deserving churches in NE Alabama.
I have had several grand conversations at Furman, once in the Cherrydale Plaza Chic Fil A with Echol. He is a grand product of Montgomery, Alabama, whose debating opponent in High school contests often was Eric Motley, the pride of Tom Corts and Samford University, subject of a Wash Post Profile when Motley worked in the Bush White House with Karl Rove; now as Aspen Institute.
So in some function put Echol on your roster for any Sunday the pastor is away.
And if you are with some historically Baptist affiliated Institution, have Echol and Eric come to your place on panel to talk about the legacy of Civil Rights and Montgomery, and how best for the Republicans and Democrats to encourage a more virtuous society.
I do know Echol's advisor his first years on faculty at Furman was Albert Blackwell, who was friend of the Niebuhrs, eulogized Martin England, and taught Gus Niebuhr in Sunday School during Blackwell's student days at Harvard Div in late 60's.
So Echol incarnates a lot. Buy his book. Invite him to your church to preach.

Amen and Amen

http://www.greggriffin.com/Nix%20Family ... igning.htm
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to New Baptist Covenant