[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - It's Here and Worth the Trip!

It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 am

I am lazy and have more pressing issues I should be pursuing. But I wanted to say that I have been enjoying the meeting. I would second Wade Burleson's recommendation, but I can't find the archive he mentions. Maybe one of you can help.

Here's the link to Wade's blog.

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2009/ ... aring.html

Only one comment and it appears to be a scam post. What those payday lenders won't do!!

I see that Mainstream Baptist says they are live streaming.

http://mainstreambaptist.blogspot.com/2 ... ptist.html

I met David Flick, of course.
Cathy

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks for this update.

I regret that I was forced to cancel my trip. Spent early Monday morning in the ER with a case of pancreatitis.

Looking forward to more updates.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Cathy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 pm

David and I had both looked for you. Sorry to hear that you are sick again.
Last edited by Cathy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Yea, the Mono that got me good back in late June/early July decided to surface again and left me with an enlarged spleen, pancreatitis, tonsilitis, and severe pains to my left-side and back.

Here are a few links I found:

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:06 pm

I thought to save a few people some time I would list times for some of the specific items you might not want to miss.

Session 1 Facing our History of Racism

J.C. Watts spoke at 27 minutes

John "Yafke" Timothy did the special music at about 47 minutes. It included a seminole song and then went into an old familiar him. Harou might in particular enjoy it.

There was a panel and discussion after the showing of the documentary "Beneath the Sin: Baptists and Racism" The panelists are introduced by Mitch Randall at about 54 minutes. A short version of the documentary is shown in the stream at about 1 hour and 20 seconds. The panel discussion follows. You'll recognize faces on the panel from the film Dwight McKissic speaks on the panel at 1:59:30. You would do well to listen to all of the panelists but you probably won't want to miss Mr. McKissic. There are plenty of good things said by all of the panelists. Given the fact that we have followed Mr. McKissic I thought some will want to move to his portion of the talk. Don't miss his humorous illustration in regard to starting inter racial churches.

The first speaker is the first lady of OK.

Tim Eaton is one of the early speakers in the panel discussion and he told a bit about the history of Free Will Baptists.

Laura Cadena speaks in a heart felt way about her experiences in the Southeast.
Last edited by Cathy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I have not yet viewed the breakout sessions and was not in one that was recorded. I might come back to those with recommendations.

Session 2 Seeing the Needs of the Present Hour

First testimony of the evening is by Hanna Massad a Baptist MInister from Gaza. I heard him at the NBC in Atlanta and he is worth hearing. Todd Littleton introduces him at 31:04.

Wilford Brown speaks from the perspective of a Native American raised as a Christian and on the staff at Bacone College. He is introduced by Todd at 57:00. At the end of his testimony he sings a Kiowa prayer song that he sang as a child in church (for Harou).

Ellis Orozco is introduced by Todd at 1 hour and 23 minutes. You should listen to this. It was certainly one of the highlights of the meeting. He is pastor at First Baptist Richardson. I belonged there when I lived in Richardson and Clyde Fant was pastor. That was a longtime ago!!! I know Richardson is happy to have Ellis Orozco.
Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Session 3 Calling for a Future of Love in Action

Starts with music by the Baptist University of the Americas Chorale

Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry spoke after an introduction by his pastor 25 minutes into the program and more music by the chorale. The governor starts at 35 minutes and 30 seconds. He introduces Jimmy Carter as well.

Jimmy Carter starts speaking at 55:35.

Don't miss Kyndall Renfro's recitation of the scripture reading at 1:35:08.

Major Jemison presents the sermon at the third session at 1:48:15.
Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Session 4 Responding to the Appeal for Unity

Testimony by Sarah Stewart, Minister in Residence at OKC FBC. She begins at 1:03:30. Speaks primarily of her own call into pastoral ministry.

Wade Burleson speaks powerfully in defense of Unity and in the support of women called to pastoral ministry (or to teach Hebrew...). He keeps carefully to notes and says this is unusual for him but he desires to be intentional in his words. It was a great message and well received. Todd Littleton introduces Wade Burleson 1:16:27. The choir sings again and Wade Burleson speaks at 1:30:10.

I have left out several people that spoke or sang, but these were some of the highlights of the meeting and I think are probably the highlights for me.
Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:15 pm

People I met.

I had a cup of coffee with David Flick and really enjoyed meeting him. I should have tried to convert him to being a believer in AGW. I missed my opportunity.

Unbeknownst to me until it was over David was in Parham's session on Global Warming. Parham spoke about a list of 700 GW skeptics. There was someone on the list named David Blick. Parham spoke about Blick's lack of credentials as well as one or two more on the list with a similar lack of real scientific credibility. Well the name sounded so similar you might think that he was talking about our own David Flick (except of course for the lack of scientific credentials).

So obviously I met Parham. One of William's favorites (TIC). I'd like to make some suggestions about the content of the session for that sort of group, but he had a mostly friendly crowd. In spite of my credentials I think he'll probably stick to Gore's slides.

I met Wade Burleson and his wife. I wish I had brought his book for his signature. I just never thought of it.

I introduced myself to Dwight McKissic. What a pleasant, warm man!! I saw him at the NBC in Atlanta but here he was on the program and I enjoyed him and his words on the panel. I probably should have gone to that breakout.

It was a smaller meeting in a smaller facility so if there was someone you wanted to speak to you could have. Jimmy Allen spoke briefly in the first session and I ran into him on the elevator. All of the speakers were very approachable and available because of the size of the meeting.

My bill on leaving had a heavy bar tab on it! They straightened it out pretty quickly but it was holding up the check out line for Parham and Prescott. Oh Well!!
Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:04 pm

I am linking Wade Burleson's from today. He links the 4th session video and a transcript. I do agree with him that you should listen in the link, but if want the transcript it is in his blog linked below.

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2009/ ... lenge.html
Cathy

Postby Ed Edwards » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Cathy: // had a cup of coffee with David Flick and really enjoyed meeting him. I should have tried to convert him to being a believer in AGW. I missed my opportunity.

// Unbeknownst to me until it was over David was in Parham's session on Global Warming. Parham spoke about a list of 700 GW skeptics. There was someone on the list named David Blick. Parham spoke about Blick's lack of credentials as well as one or two more on the list with a similar lack of real scientific credibility. Well the name sounded so similar you might think that he was talking about our own David Flick (except of course for the lack of scientific credentials). //

Somehow I missed that break-out session. Our Local newspaper (Norman Transcript) had a full page advert by
http:www.ok.newbaptistcovenant.org

It lists that session as:
// The Challenge of Environmental Stewardship:
Robert Parham, Executive Director of the Baptist Center for Ethics

I thought this Midwest Regional Meeting of the New Baptist Covenant was Fri & Sat; but it was Thur evening and Friday all day. So this mornings local paper only covered that President Carter was there. Didn't even mention local ex-USrepresentative J.C. Watts???

The meetings were held in Norman, Oklahoma's new Convention Center, build by a local TIF (i think it stands for TAXING IS FUNDAMENTAL :D ) district.
:angel:
( for the physical Millennial Messianic Reign of Jesus )

-- Ed Edwards, AGW Dude
(AGW = Anthropogenic Global Warming)
Ed Edwards

Postby Cathy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Ed, wish you had come by. We could have all had that cup of coffee together.
Cathy

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:33 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:22 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:27 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Not heretics nor Infidels

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:09 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Wade Burleson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:26 pm

The world is too dangerous to live in - not because of the people who do evil but because of the people who sit and let it happen.

Albert Einstein
Wade Burleson

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:02 pm

At this week's BGAV, I was informed that there will be a NBC gathering in October 2010 in Philadelphia. That is within one-day driving distance. I think I will be there.

Also heard that next year's annual national CBF meeting will be in June 2010 in Charlotte. That also is within one day drive. I think I will be there, too.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Cathy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Cathy

Return to New Baptist Covenant