[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Should Carter have a New Speech for Greensboro

Should Carter have a New Speech for Greensboro

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Should Carter have a New Speech for Greensboro

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Had a long conversation this morning with a friend, who like myself, has great appreciation for what President Carter has done, his role in the Creation of the Baptist Covenant.
The event in Bham was grand, history in the making, at same time it was a history lesson for the next generation.
But President Carter gave basically the same speech he gave last year in Atlanta; and most of the secular news coverage focussed on same themes developed last year in Atlanta.
Is it possible, worthwhile to consider handing the keynote address off to someone else in Greensboro, or in collusion with Mercer President Underwood, or the best and the brightest in this initiative work with Carter to emphasize a different aspect of the Covenant in the Gboro keynoter.
Have a 10 minute celebration of what Carter has done and celebrate his Baptist legacy; then maybe--and I know it is a little late--have Anne Graham Lotz talk about how she may differ with others of the children and grandchildren of Billy Graham on Baptist World Alliance and Women in Ministry.
Much talk lately of just what it Billy's legacy. Is it personified in the grandson who follows DJK at Coral Gables, placing Billy's legacy squarely in the world of Al Moher; or is it carried on in his grandson Will who will be featured speaker at Pressler's Texas Baptist Convention later this year.
Somebody get to Anne Graham Lotz. If need be have her take a crash course in what a distinct Baptist voice she could have championing a BWA and Preaching Women aspect of Baptist life.
Have her talk to Charles Kimball, Bill Leonard and her inlaws with Baptist World Alliance. Have her have a conversation with Tony Cartledge to discuss his blogged reservations about the points where Billy "insinuated" himself into the SBC takeover over the last 30 years.
Some kind of this is where I stand as a Baptist woman with a different vision than my Brother and nephews at this Baptist moment; standing there with President Carter and the folks he has brought together; in my mind that truly would be an event in Greensboro, that builds on, instead of repeating Birmingham and Atlanta.
Carter could be part of a grand feature maybe even plenary Workshop session with Charles Kimball--even fly in the scholar from Baptist U in Lebanon--on mideast politics.
Brent McDougal did a fabulous job in Bham, and the breakouts were cutting edge. And any time James Dunn is in the room with Maya Angelou something will happen and I celebrate that.
But let's have a keynote in Greensboro that truly does advance this initiative and not Repeat two previous keynotes.
Thanks

Sfox
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Should Carter have a New Speech for Greensboro

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Does Lotz still support BFM2000?

Is Lotz even a member of a Baptist church? I'm pretty sure she is not. There was some controversy during her recent tenure as Regent at Baylor because she had reportedly moved her church membership to a nondenominational community church. All Regents like the President and Baylor Religion Department are required to be members of a Baptist church.

She is coming to do a revival later in the year at Baylor. Beth Moore and Kay Warren are also coming for a conference at Baylor soon.

I can't say I have any interest in hearing from Lotz, Moore or Warren though.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Lotz and Julie Pennington Russell

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Doesn't look like a BFM 2000 disciple to me:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... e_and.html

Looks to me like she differs greatly from Al Mohler and her Nephew Tulio now at DJK's Coral Gables church, the church that according to Baylor's Hankins shaped Al Mohler.
Looks like Anne Graham Lotz has more in common with JPRussell than she does with the GBC; however she is speaking with Johnny Hunt at the Bama SBC later this month.
Gonna love to see the column Bob Terry does with that; sense he went out of his way to slam CBF couple years ago in the Killinger matter.
Last year Lotz was Bill Self's guest at Johns Creek in Alpharetta.

Where are the Graham children dispensationing to? Looks like ABP or Baps Today or Ethicsdaily.com would explore.

Stephen Fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Mark

Maybe Garrett Kaiser could Help Carter

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:46 pm

add some updated nuance to his Atlanta and Bham speech.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... _politics/

Carter is a proud man and deservedly so; but I don't think he is a vain man.
If anything he is everything but vain.
There is a lot Carter could learn from Keizer, working him into the evolution of the Covenant themes.
Surely there are those who can help him in the evolution of his grand theme begun in Atlanta last year as he goes on to Greensboro and the Midwest Regional.
Carter will be making the closing remarks, instead of the keynoter in Greensboro so I was mistaken a little.
Maybe Bring in Gus Niebuhr to speak on his New Book Beyond Tolerance, picking up Carter's theme of the obstinacy of the fundamentalists with Niebuhr keying on the history of Lousville, Ky and the Know Nothings; developing the theme of Harold Bloom.
For sure, in Melissa Rogers back yard, they can have a workshop on Obama's New Faith Based Panel and how they can witness there to Frank Page and make it plain how he needs to at a minimum lead a charge with Wade Burleson and Anne Graham Lotz within the SBC to rejoin the the Baptist World Alliance, not only in Word but in deed also; meaning substantial emphasis in local SBC churches in the SBC with special offerings to the BWA; at least matching the money that goes to Richard Land's political action committee.

Stephen Fox

Return to New Baptist Covenant