[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Bill Hull's challenge to Jonathan and Thornton

Bill Hull's challenge to Jonathan and Thornton

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Bill Hull's challenge to Jonathan and Thornton

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:50 pm

In the packet all of us who attended the Covenant received--along with Prez Carter's SS lesson--was a pamphlet endorsed by Buddy Shurden and Gourley's Mercer Center for Baptist Studies and the Historical Commission, written by Bill Hull, the former provost of Southern.

It is very good. Gourley, if you can get a copy in the mail right away to Thornton and Jonathan, put two dollars on my tab and I will pay you eventually.
They need to read this. I hope to taunt CB Scott and my friend John Killian into gettin copies as I will be referencing it in a list of readings lately, spotlighting Marilynne Robison's The Tyranny of Petty Coerdion; will be spotlighting it all in my blog.
Hope you will follow up with an endorsment here, Gourley, even some highlights as we wait for Thornton and Jonathan to get their copies and join the conversation.
Would be impressed if all the churches of folks who frequent this board would get copies.
That is a very tangible accessible good that can come from the Covenant; with Gushee's several opinion pieces generated from the event accessible at opeds at abpnews.com; should easily raise the level of conversation about what it means to be Baptist in America.
Hull's closing quote from Oppenheimer 56 at Columbia was right on the money.

Mark, tell your Preacher there in Huntsville I said his Dad did a great job.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Bill Hull's challenge to Jonathan and Thornton

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Hull? I don't play hockey Stephen. :lol:
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:21 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:23 pm

Golden Spurs aside, I think you are talking about Bobby

Hull :wink:

Stephen Fox

The book to which stephen is referring....

Postby deb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:38 pm

The New Baptist Covenant Celebration and a Great Follow-up Resource

The New Baptist Covenant Celebration held in Atlanta last week was an amazing meeting. Baptists of many ethnicities and backgrounds experienced unity, a positive spirit, the absence of politics, powerful and insightful plenary sessions, educational workshops, and great exhibits. All registrants received a complimentary copy of the Baptist History and Heritage Society’s 24-page booklet, The Meaning of the Baptist Experience: New Baptist Covenant Edition, written by William E. Hull, research professor at Samford University since 2000.

Virtually everyone who has read this booklet has applauded it. Walter B. Shurden, recently retired Callaway Professor of Christianity and director of The Center for Baptist Studies at Mercer University, wrote: “This is the very best statement on the Baptist identity that I have ever read. This booklet can make a difference in Baptist life, present and future, like no other piece of literature I know.”

And Charles Deweese, executive director of the Baptist History and Heritage Society, wrote: “Hull’s brief booklet, published exactly 100 years after E. Y. Mullins’s groundbreaking work, The Axioms of Religion, cements a powerful sense of biblically-based identity into the Baptist consciousness for present and future generations.”

This booklet is perfect for use with classes in churches and schools. Order today and receive a 60 percent discount. Although the booklet will appear in the Society’s 2008 catalog of resources at $2.50 per copy, you can purchase copies now for $1.00 each (this special offer will end on February 29).

To place your order, e-mail Pam Durso [pamdurso@baptisthistory.org] and provide your name, address, and telephone number, and indicate how many copies you would like at $1.00 each. We will include an invoice when we ship your order. Shipping and handling charges will be added.

Please consider forwarding this e-mail to persons you know who might be interested in information on this new booklet.

Pam Durso
Associate Executive Director
Baptist History and Heritage Society
3001 Mercer University Drive
Atlanta, GA 30341
deb

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:57 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Hull's closing quote

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:38 am

From Oppenheimer in 56 is exquisite:

We know too much for one man to know much; we live too variously to live as one...Our knowledge separates as well as it unites; our orders disintegrate as well as bind; our art brings us together and sets us apart. Diversity, complexity, richness overwhelm the man of today. Superficiality and fatigue become the temptations of those perpetually and precariously balanced between the infinitely open and the intimate. [In such a time,] Each...will love to cling to what is close to him, to what he knows, to what he can do, to his friends and his tradition and his love, lest he be disolved in a universal confusion and know nothing and love nothing.

Stephen Fox

Postby russ » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:13 pm

russ

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 pm

I don't want to do a Prentice here, but I guess that is why your local faith community, what I perceive to be a membership of One and stagnant, is so vital.

Nevertheless, an interesting twist on Oppy, I imagine :)

Stephen Fox

Return to New Baptist Covenant