[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Clinton's 'fantasy' remembrance re: Ed Young

Clinton's 'fantasy' remembrance re: Ed Young

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Clinton's 'fantasy' remembrance re: Ed Young

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Hate to rain on the NBC parade but this is newsworthy amongst baptists and concerns remarks Bill Clinton made during his NBC address and I don't think it makes much difference about anything:

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Clinton's 'fantasy' remembrance re: Ed Young

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:09 pm

We'll see if ole' Bill makes any counter-response.

Here are the Ed Young quotes that caught my eye: "I have never asked anyone if they believe the Bible is literally true... " and "I do not believe the Bible is literally, in the normal definition of the word, true...."

Contrast the above with the title of W.A. Criswell's famous (and controversial) book: "Why I Preach That the Bible Is Literally True."

So... who's right, Criswell or Young?
Mark

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:28 pm

Ed: if as Erin Roach reports, "Young said he laughed at the portrayal and had no intention of making Clinton's error public until some trusted friends urged him to do so" why was he discussing it with any one?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Kaylor » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:19 am

Clinton told the story four years ago (and was reported by the Baptist Press) but Young did not complain then. It seems this is less about correcting the record on Clinton and more about attacking the Celebration. I definitely would not put money on Clinton having everything accurate, but I wouldn't put it on Young either as his past record is not too great either.
Kaylor

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:34 am

I can't see how it means much of anything one way or the other about the Celebration. Second Kaylor as to "who's right".

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:52 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby deb » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:57 am

Haven't read that clinton has weighed in. BUT, as Kaylor pointed out, the bp story is not the first time this has come out.

Additionally, although I cannot find it, I read of Young's response to Clinton's story about 2 days after the NBC. I am pretty sure it was in a secular paper. So, bp must have caught it there. Anyone else see it?

All that to say, since Clinton told the story more than 2 years ago and Young didnt' comment and IF it was first mentioned in a secular press just a couple of days after the NBC and because bp just published it, well, I agree with Kaylor, it's less about Clinton and more about negativity for the NBC.
deb

Postby Norm » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:48 am

NBC to SBCers:

Ginny: I think Danny's upset.

Kate Burroughs: Oh, he'll be alright.

Ginny: We've been joking around all night and he hasn't joined in. I think he's hurt. I think maybe we owe him an apology.

Kate Burroughs: Why, because I laughed at him?

Ginny: Well... yeah.

Kate Burroughs: Look, Ginny, when people have been friends as long as we have, it's not such a terrible thing to kid somebody out of a depression. So don't get upset about what you don't understand.
Norm

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:04 am

I find myself in agreement with my mod friends here on the impact and even the motivation of the recent BP story. I've never been sure what NBC organizers believed that Bill Clinton could bring to the meeting that was positive. He lies so well.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Bring Ed Young to the Table

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 pm

Wtih Harry Dent's daughter Ginny Brant of the Memphis Declaration, the Rice Proff who wrote Race and Class in Texas Politics, Gushee and Balmer and we'll get to the bottom of this.
I made reference to Young as told me by Bill Self in an article in Baps Today in the mid 90's
I think President Clinton has the weight of truth in this matter; if you look at both career's in entirety.
As I have said before, lot happenned when Clinton went forward for rededication in Springdale, Ark to shake the hand of Ronnie Floyd the summer of 1992 during a Revival service there.
Not sure it equates with scenes in There Will Be Blood, but all yall should go see the movie.
And further than that I can't add anything right now, or take away

Ed knows me; to him I am Billy's boy.

Lot was going on in late 60's when Ed was the pastor of FBC Taylors where Page is now, and LD Johnson was chaplain at Furman. Great Baptist history there in those 4 years or so. Lot of nuance that didn't get resolved and now we have all these half truths by half.
Lausanne Covenant of 73 and the split between Billy Graham and Mohler's Schaeffer. Bill Marsh has a strong 8 pages on that, and it is stuff like that coming back to haunt Ed Young.
It needs to get talked out.
I applaud Young, however, for his Invitation to the Clinton's to chat in Houston. I just think they need to bring Bill Martin and Chandler Davidson to dinner with them.
For the record, John Baugh wasn't too pleased with what Young did at 2nd Houston in light of his promises to the Pulpit committee on the way to the church in mid 70's.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Prentice Fox » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:28 pm

Stephen: "Bring Ed Young to the table." I would think that Dr. Young is too busy to "come to the table." His church web site http://www.second.org/global/default.aspx relates the Second Baptist Church in Houston has Five Campuses. On their belief statement it reads: "The Bible is God's Word to us. It is the Supreme Source of Truth for Christian Beliefs and Living."
Prentice Fox

Postby ET » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Return to New Baptist Covenant