[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A note on the Gore luncheon

A note on the Gore luncheon

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

A note on the Gore luncheon

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Much has been said Regarding the Gore Luncheon at the NBC Celebration. But I have one more observation

I have previously stated that I believe it was a mistake on the part of the planners to allow this extracurricular event. It is listed in the NBCC program as Stewardship of the Earth Luncheon with Al Gore. But it was in my opinion less than good stewardship of financial resources when you consider the $ 35.00 per plate for a ticket to attend.

Trudy and I did not Spend $35 for the two of us, for any one Meal the entire 6 days that we where on the road and at the Celebration, and we ate well.

But what I really want to point out is that many (200 or more) of the people who came to attended the luncheon did not attend the rest of the celebration. I say this because I was Working the information booth at the main entrance for an hour before the Luncheon and all during it. Starting about 11:30 and until about 12:15 we had a flood of folk rushing across the lobby from the front door to our booth breathlessly asking "Where is the Gore thing " Or they asked "Are there still tickets available for the Gore Lunch ?" When the Luncheon was over a large percentage of those streaming down the Escalator near our booth headed across the lobby and out the door.

Strangely enough -to me, was the fact that may people where still coming in wasting to attend the luncheon well after it had started. I really felt sorry for one well dressed young fellow who came in about 12:45 (the luncheon was scheduled for 12:00) he has one child in a stroller and was carrying another. He asked if we could page his wife who was at the Gore event -Because - she had his ticket . We had no way to page any one, nor did the facilities management office where we referred him. I don't think he ever found his wife until after the luncheon.

I never promised a perfect meeting just an enjoyable one for folk who hope to see Baptist get together praising God and finding ways to serve others in the name of Jesus. The leadership is asking for suggestions on how to improve any such events that may be held in the future. Many people did accept the opportunity to place suggestions in the offering buckets on Friday evening.
Ed Pettibone

Re: A note on the Gore luncheon

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:52 pm

Maybe there were some non-NBC Atlanta folk who attended the Gore luncheon? I didn't notice.

Did anyone else at the luncheon make the same observation?

Ed, I notice you've complained about the price of this luncheon a time or two. I'm not your age and haven't been to all of the meetings that you have. But, I've noticed over the last handful of years that most luncheons are around the $35-40 range. Whether the speaker is Al Gore, Randall Balmer or just the annual meeting of the Whitsitt Society Board, the price is in that range. That's the price you gotta pay when you host meals at Convention centers. It's a little expensive but what can ya do?
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Neil Heath » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Blame much of the cost on the convention center. I think those places rival hospitals in finding ways to charge for everything you touch while on their premises. And they often don't allow outside vendors to compete with them. It's quite amazing to behold.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:36 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Ed, what place nearby could have fed 500 people or 1500 people? I couldn't even find a dang seat to eat my chicken sandwich at the CNN Center!

The Baptist Joint Committee hosts one luncheon annually for their Religious Liberty Council. Where should those 500 people eat? $35 might be steep but the demand is there. BJC packs out their luncheons. The Al Gore event looked full. But most of the people who attend such luncheons can afford a one-time $30-40 meal to hear about the work of the Baptist Joint Committee or hear Al Gore Speak, etc. etc.

It flat out stinks that the convention centers do what they do. But, if you want to host a function where there is food followed by a speaker, what can ya do? And I just don't buy that Bill Underwood or Brent Walker has not made an effort to negotiate prices with the World Congress Center. Walker's BJC held their RLC Luncheon two years ago I believe at the World Congress Center. I'm pretty sure the price was $30 and the BJC probably had to eat some additional costs. But such events are worth the money. For the BJC, getting 500 Baptists (many of whom are financial supporters) committed to separation of church and state into a room for an hour and a half is an opportunity that they can not pass up.

I don't recall the menu. It's normally a chicken plate with bread and a side of fancy-lookin vegetables. I'm definitely not going to argue that the meal was worth $35!
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:38 pm

Ed Pettibone

Return to New Baptist Covenant