[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Covenant Sound and Fury at Newsweek and WSJ

Covenant Sound and Fury at Newsweek and WSJ

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Covenant Sound and Fury at Newsweek and WSJ

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm

Robert Parham is maybe not outraged, but quite upset Sally Quinn and Berlinbleau of WashPost and Newsweek and Religion blog could get the Baptist Covenant in Atlanta so wrong.

Here are the 41 comments so far on Berlinbleau's blog there saying he had more respect for Richard Land in re the Covenant than the Covenant planners when it comes to politics.

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... ments.html

And here is Parham's steam:

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=10068

Good news is Randall Balmer and Brent Walker are regular contributors to the Newsweek blog site. Let's hope they set the record straight and soon.

Newsweek's Jon Meacham is from Richard Land's hometown of Chattanooga, TN.

One upshot is with all this and the Huckabee campaign, maybe we can have Balmer and Land tour the country with Charles Marsh and Ginny Brant and get some of this straight.

As I have said before, Bill Friday got it right in 87 with his comment to Cecil Sherman.
Maybe Sally Quinn will understand by June. Let's hope so.
Tom Edsall of the Huffington Post knows the difference.

On Another note, Furman's Jim Guth is quoted in the front page story in NY Times today on Huckabee and McCain's struggle. Guth says matter of factly it is a Southern Baptist thing.

Maybe some of this will register with deacons at FBC Montgomery and Dawson Memorial and like churches who continue willy nilly to fund the Cooperative Program.
But I doubt it. The trick is on me and other crackers who thought literacy and Marshall Frady might make a difference. It's a paraphrase or parody of Flannery OConnor's wit about sin; maybe cynically is now as true of Robert Parham and me as it was for Flannery's assessment in the 40's.
Last edited by Stephen Fox on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Wine and Cheese

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Robert Parham makes me proud to be a literate Baptist, though he knows more about wine and cheese than I do.

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=10075

Stephen Fox

The Century with Straightforward words

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:44 pm

from Bill Leonard

Maybe this take will be a little more to Parham's liking

http://www.christiancentury.org/article.lasso?id=4478

Stephen Fox

Re: Covenant Sound and Fury at Newsweek and WSJ

Postby Prentice Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:07 pm

The article that you cited above from Chris_Cen seemed to give a lot of attention to the fact that in spite of the diversity at NBC, the Baptist Pro-Gay groups were not invited. Bill Leonard said that it's not time to discuss that issue Yet.
Last edited by Prentice Fox on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prentice Fox

Bill Leonard and church Covenant delegations

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:33 pm

And at your church, what was the report from the group who took your church van to Atlanta as you reported last week or whenever it was before your 10 day absence from this board.

Stephen Fox

Postby Prentice Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:53 pm

There is no group report as of yet; and probably will not be. What was the group report from your church there in Collinsville? A couple of people who attended from here seemed to especially enjoy the music. Will there be another one next year? Or will it be another four years before NBC II ?? (as in presidential elections, etc.?) How much was your hotel room? Would a gift toward relief for Global Aids Crisis been a better investment?
Last edited by Prentice Fox on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prentice Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:01 pm

How much does Nancy pay for her room?

You don't worry about my finances and I won't worry about yours.
The administrators have said repeatedly this is no place for your family taunts.

Thank-you

Stephen Fox

Postby Prentice Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:20 pm

ED, you may be right that Adelle M. Banks, writer of the Christian Century article, is mistaken about the designation of Tony's Stole as being representative of supporting the homosexual lifestyle. I noticed that several of his/her comments were related to the Gay Issue. However, the author did mention that David Gushee regretted that SBC leaders stayed away. He reports that Gushee, like me, attends a church that supports both the SBC and the CBF.
Prentice Fox

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:29 pm

From what I know of Gushee and his several testimonies of the last few days at abpnews.com there is no way to compare him to you.
His pilgrimage is of a higher order altogether, and he has born clear witness to the wrongs of Mohler and the conservative resurgence by example and experience.

Stephen Fox

Postby Prentice Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Stephen, you are grossly,intentionally or errantly, mistaken. I was not comparing Gushee to me in my post above. I was simply quoting the Century article in saying that the church he attended supported both the SBC and CBF.(just like mine.) Read it again. I believe you missed the point. Dually aligned, is what we call it. Several local churches here do that, supporting both Richard Land and Daniel Vestal. How do they do it there in Alabama?
Prentice Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Stephen you may do well to take to yourself the advice you gave Prentice a few post back. It is not just the BL.C staff that are fed up with the Fox Version of Family Feud.
Ed Pettibone

Ed

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:27 pm

in all due respect, I think it is you who are a little shallow in this exchange.
My point is Gushee is charting a course that tweaks in the most virtuous way, the pilgrimage of even Adrian Rogers son David and others of the Memphis Declaration.
To compare as Prentice does, Richard Land to Dan Vestal, as having equal virtue, I think is a gross distortion of what is wrong with too many congregations that should do better with their Coop Program distribution.
I don't speak for then, but I have every reason to believe Bruce Gourley is troubled by that as is Tony Cartledge and Buddy Shurden.
On the virtue spectrum Dan Vestal is of much higher value than Richard Land; and Gushee laughably trumps Al Mohler.
That is not so much a family spat between me and Prentice as it is something that troubles too many of us.
I wish you could understand that, EdP

Sfox

Stephen Fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:53 am

For what it's worth, the rainbow stole that Tony Campolo was apparently wearing and what many other ministers at the ABC-USA/CBF joint session wore this summer had absolutely nothing to do Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

In the context of the NBC and this summer's ABC-USA/CBF gathering, the rainbow symbolized gay pride not Jesse Jackson's dying (if not nearly dead) political movement. Today the rainbow almost always symbolizes gay pride.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Mark

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:26 pm

I stepped out during Tony's speech.

The rainbow stole represents that the person wearing it supports the full inclusion of Gay and Lesbian persons as members of the Church. The rainbow stole is symbolic of the hope of gays, lesbians, and their straight-allies to be a church which welcomes and affirms all persons, regardless of sexual orientation.

Since I wrote my original post, I double checked what I wrote with my friend, Angela Yarber, who is involved in AWAB, BPFNA, and is dancing at the upcoming Alliance of Baptists Convocation. She's a minister, she wears the rainbow stole during special occasions, and she lives in Berkeley where she's getting a Ph.D. that has required courses in Queer Theology. She confirmed what I wrote.

Maybe there is the slight chance that Tony was supporting a political movement with his rainbow stole. Anything is possible. But for what other purpose than what I've stated above have you ever seen a minister or layperson wear a rainbow stole? From my time working with John Lewis, I became familiar with Rainbow/PUSH (Lewis is not involved with that group). But I've never seen a leader of Rainbow/PUSH wear a rainbow stole. I've never seen Jesse Jackson wear a rainbow stole. They do use the rainbow as a symbol of multiculturalism and have done so since before the LGBT community made it their most popular symbol.

I've heard Tony and his wife Peggy speak on the subject of homosexuality. From what I understand, they address that subject quite often (or used to). It is also my understanding that Tony's view of homosexuality is a bit more nuanced than many of our Baptist brethren. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he recognizes that not all Americans have the same sexual orientation. However, he calls on gay and lesbian Christians to live a life of celibacy. I think he even says that gays and lesbians can have life-long committed partners. Since he believes the act of homosexual sex to be a sin, he calls on those same-sex partners to remain celibate. I just don't see any evidence to suggest that Tony's rainbow stole had anything to do with Jackson's RAINBOW/PUSH.

Ed,

I commend you in your efforts to take back the rainbow. Wear the rainbow proudly.

The rainbow should be for all peoples. Back when I was but a mere freshmen at the University of Georgia, a very very pretty girl handed me a rainbow button to wear as I stood silently waiting for my roommate to pick me up at the Tate Center. Since, she was wearing the button and was very nice to me, I pinned the rainbow button on my shirt. We continued to have a nice conversation and a few of her friends joined in. All were wearing the rainbow. But UGA is a typical University. People are always protesting or handing out literature on some injustice. Thus, I didn't think twice about the rainbow. I didn't have a clue.

To make a long story short, a somewhat blurry picture (blurry, that's what I told myself) of Bdiddy ended up in the Red & Black (UGA's Student Newspaper) the next day. Those nice girls handing out the Rainbow buttons were celebrating National Coming Out Day of which I unknowingly participated in. I must admit I was a little spacey back then. I had come from a small town to Athens. I can't say that I personally knew a gay guy or lesbian growing up in Vidalia, Georgia.

The fall-out wasn't too bad. Only a few girls asked me - "Why Didn't You Tell Us!" Later at UGA, I did make friends through the Young Dems that were gay. Looking back, I'm glad that experience with the rainbow button didn't turn me into a homophobe. But I likely will never pin on a rainbow button or fly the rainbow flag anytime soon. So, I can't join you Ed in your endeavor.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:36 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 pm

And if you go to a Klan rally wearing a white pointy ghost hood and subsequently tell people that you wore it to express solidarity with the starving Armenians... well, that may be...

Haruo
who is not trying to suggest any connection between Ed, Tony, BDiddy, gays, Jesse, and/or Armenian nutritional levels and the KKK, it was a random illustration
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:45 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

As I have commented

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:27 pm

in many venues here, there is no better response to the WSJ than Pulitzer Marilynne Robinson's magnificent essay The Tyranny of Petty Coercion in her collection The Death of Adam.
EDP: I hope you order a copy this weekend.

Stephen Fox

Re: As I have commented

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:31 pm

What I find most interesting about Tony Campolo is that often he seems to articulate Peggy's view of homosexuality and her interpretation of the Scripture passages in a manner that is much more convincing than his own argument against "same-sex eroticism."

That is my opinion - an opinion that I've long held before Letters was published. I listened to two different presentations on homosexuality a few years back where he opened up for her with his speech and would lob Peggy softballs and she'd proceed to hit a homerun. Read Letters to a Young Evangelical. Tony almost always gives Peggy the last word and her arguments are quite punchy!

I think its pretty clear that Campolo supports the inclusion of gays and lesbians into the church. On P. 158 of Letters, he states that he stands steadfastly with his gay and lesbian friends as they struggle for equality and justice.

Here's a quote:

"Altought I maintain a conservative interpretation of Scripture when dealing with this issue, I differ from many Evangelicals in believing that people do not choose to be gay and that changes in sexual orientation are unlikely.

As I previously stated, Tony is against "same-sex eroticism." He calls on gays and lesbians to live a life of celibacy. He recognizes that we don't all share the same sexual orientation. Tony also recognizes that one should not try to change their orientation. So, how is Tony against the inclusion of gays and lesbians in the church? He clearly states that homosexuality is not an issue that churches should divide over. I just personally think his celibacy argument isn't practical.

Tony is against gay marriage. However, he believes that the government should get out of the marriage business altogether. So do I. That's page 169.

"I propose that the government should get out of the marrying business completely. Instead, the state should legally recognize and grant the same legal benefits to both heterosexual and homosexual unions. But the state should not call these unions "marriages" because, I believe, marriage is religiously ordained and belongs solely in the hands of religious institutions."

Tony also supports the rights of homosexuals to adopt children.
Tony fights homophobic policies (Don't Ask Don't Tell) (p172)

In his conclusion, Tony writes:

"Wherever you come out on the controversies that surround homosexuality and gay marriage, I urge you to work for justice for gay and lesbian people. There is no question taht the Bible has a whole lot to say about justice for the oppressed."
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:50 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Next

Return to New Baptist Covenant