[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Give The Baptist A Break

Give The Baptist A Break

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Give The Baptist A Break

Postby Steve Wilcox » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:46 am

This article was in our local paper yesterday and it referenced this conference.

The author remembers the shameful times in the SBC, but give them some credit near the end.

It is summed up in the last sentence and I agree.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/s ... 2446.shtml
Steve Wilcox

Re: Give The Baptist A Break

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:16 am

Norm

Postby Tim Dahl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:49 am

Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:25 am

Norm

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:49 am

Ed: Good Words Norm! And Tim D. When you say I would see the Fundamentalists as the liberals, and the Conservatives are the ones that fought for our historic Baptist traditions (but lost in the end.

I agree that the first part of the statement has validity but a I do not see that we have reached the end and b Although we lost some of the old mechanisms we have gained valuable insight and have discovered new and improved mechanisms and prayerfully ways to evaluate and adapt as we move on as a people of God.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:46 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Dahl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:28 pm

You guys shame me in my myopic view. I'm afraid that I have sinned, the sin of pride and arrogance in particular. You see, when I said that "we lost in the end," I was talking about the SBC prior to the fundamentalis takeover. That is prideful and arrogant because it negates all other Baptist traditions. I am sorry for implying that 1) the SBC is/was all that it means to be Baptist and 2) that the other Baptist denominations have lost what it means to be truly Baptist.

Also, to those that lovingly claim the term "liberal" for themselves, I did not mean to slight you with linking you to the Fundamentalists of the SBC. I was framing the "progress" of the current SBC in a negative light and calling that "liberal." I'm sorry Haruo. I know of some (self-identified as liberals) people that would find the clause not only strange, but might refer to it as "fightin' words."

Be Well,

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Return to New Baptist Covenant