[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - So...not too partisan or political...

So...not too partisan or political...

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

So...not too partisan or political...

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:04 am

...was the New Baptist Covenant, best I can tell. Congratulations. I was incorrect in predicting that it would be and said I would apologize; so, I apologize. Perhaps someone, some speaker got into the presidential election but I haven't found it. In fact, if you depart from ABP, Baptists Today, the various bloggers and other insiders, you will not find much about the meeting. Even the Atlanta paper (haven't read today's, which has the weekly religion section) buried NBC stories deep inside.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: So...not too partisan or political...

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:57 pm

William, I enjoyed the brief visit with you Wednesday afternoon. And your (above) observations regarding the content of the Covenant meeting are correct. Election year politics remained outside the building. Denominational politics remained largely absent in the face of calls for Baptists in North America at large to move forwards on a journey to biblical unity. The two speakers who mentioned the SBC (the only major Baptist group not represented) were former U.S. presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, who both spoke of the need to continue to extend an open hand to SBC leaders for the SBC to join the movement. (Note: Many members from SBC churches were present, although SBC leaders - and BP News - dissed the event.)

As to secular newspaper coverage, contrary to your observation, I've not seen a Baptist event covered by some many secular papers in some years. Browse through the BT news story headlines to see just a few stories from secular media; this morning I posted wraps from eight or ten of those papers, including the New York Times. However, you are correct that the Atlanta paper did not run a wrap today (not sure why, unless they are waiting until tomorrow, Sunday).
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:48 pm

I was particularly impressed with Bill Clinton's address. He didn't say anything about Hillary's presidential campaign. He said nothing about Obama. He spoke of Republican candidate Mike Huckabee as a friend for whom he had great respect despite their political differences, and he commented positively about some good things Huckabee did as governor of Arkansas. He talked about his friendship with SBC preacher Ed Young, who has been on the other side in SBC politics, talked about benefitting from Young's ministry, and talked about conversations with him about their honest differences. I'm still going to vote for Obama (my second choice after Kucinich dropped out)--I can't vote for Hillary because of her past support for Bushcheney's war--but Bill Clinton really seemed to be enjoying the break from the campaign trail and enjoying Christian fellowship with people of many different political persuasions. He stood before us as a sinner saved by grace. I was impressed by his genuineness and humility.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby jerryl » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:14 pm

jerryl

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:18 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to New Baptist Covenant