[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - First Night of New Baptist Covenant

First Night of New Baptist Covenant

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Re: First Night of New Baptist Covenant

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:13 am

Mark

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 pm

My own observations were similar to those already posted here. The meeting was a good mix of black and white brothers and sisters, maybe even a 50-50 mix, or close to it. Music came from several worship styles, as did the preaching, and was well received by the congregation. The tone was set from the beginning by Bill Underwood as he talked about Dr. King's dream of Christian unity, and how it might be realized to some degree this week as groups who have never met together for worship and fellowship did so at the NBC. He drew applause several times in his remarks. Dr. Shaw is an eloquent, effective preacher who did a masterful job of preaching that drew much response from the crowd. I suspect it was a bit of an adjustment for some folks who haven't been in a black worship service. :)

One highlight for me is reconnecting with old friends across the country, some of whom I haven't seen since seminary days, and catching up on our lives. I was not disappointed. And I was really looking forward to putting faces to familiar names from these discussions. Thanks for posting the pics, Tim. Wish you all could have been with us.

I left early, after Dr. Shaw spoke, because I wanted to get back to Macon before it got too late. I knew I could see President Carter online, but I wish I could have stayed. I'm still in Macon this AM, but hope to get back up there later today.

Maybe I'll see some more of you there!

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:24 pm

Associated Baptist Press has some good coverage of the event's first night, including some of the words of Bill Underwood that drew much applause and highlights of the sermons by Shaw and Carter.

http://www.abpnews.com/www/2998.article

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Return to New Baptist Covenant