Dreamers

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Dreamers

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:07 pm

JE Pettibone

Re: Dreamers

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Rvaughn

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:11 am

Thank you R. L.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:21 am

I got a call to do so from Evergreen/ABC, well, not a call, but a post. I probably won't, because I know my congressional representatives in both houses are 100% pro-Dreamer (though not necessarily pro-Dream Act, whose terms did nothing to reverse Obama's reputation as "Deporter-in-Chief" among those who prioritize the rights of the undocumented) and I am generally opposed to calling other people's representatives to tell them how to vote, it smacks of Russian interference.

I notice NBC Inc. is on board, but not the Unincorporated or Progressive ones, at least not on the list of signatories. And Russell Moore?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:11 am

The "dreamers" are a special case. Breaking up families, even though the responsible grownups never tried hard enough to gain citizenship, is just plain wrong. The very strict (actually no immigration for a while, especially from any Muslim country) immigration requirements should be upheld. Today can't be compared to 1830-1920 with the trite "melting-pot" argument. The nation needs brains more than brawn, of which it has a good supply (a lot of it in penitentiaries).
Jim

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Jim wrote:The "dreamers" are a special case. Breaking up families, even though the responsible grownups never tried hard enough to gain citizenship, is just plain wrong. The very strict (actually no immigration for a while, especially from any Muslim country) immigration requirements should be upheld. Today can't be compared to 1830-1920 with the trite "melting-pot" argument. The nation needs brains more than brawn, of which it has a good supply (a lot of it in penitentiaries).

So are you saying the families should be deported as units, or that the lazy responsible grownups should be grandchilded in?
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 pm

I said nothing about deportation, only that families should not be broken up. Draw your own conclusions.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:34 pm

I know, but there are two ways to achieve what you said you would like to see, and I'm just asking which you prefer, or whether it should be decided on a case by case basis.
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to New Baptist Covenant