SBC woman on Sex COMMA Religion and Politics, NPR Fresh Air

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

SBC woman on Sex COMMA Religion and Politics, NPR Fresh Air

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:49 pm

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/19/57191156 ... n-politics

Fascinating.

She was raised in Chattanooga Tn and came of age during the SBC controversy. I take it she was a member of FBC there but she does not say in this interview. Interesting anecdote about Ridgecrest which she paints as fundamentalist in her experience.

The Albert Lee Smith, Eagle Forum, Paul Pressler, Jesse Helms connection takes fuller shape with this book. And NPR This American Life two part one hour each segment look at Albertville, Alabama and immigration and the role the Eagle Forum played in the draconian Immigration bill Will Willimon compared to the Fugitive Slave Law is an aspect of this book the author is yet to explore.
Last edited by Stephen Fox on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: SBC woman on Sex Religion and Politics, NPR Fresh Air

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:47 am

Either there is a comma missing or, I'm not sure what "Sex Religion" is? :lol:
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Bonney has a link

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Why doesn't he read the blanket blank transcript and book. He has known for some time he is messing with the Most intellectual of the Class of 71 of Gaffney High School which too years prior elected the first cousin of the Obama and Bush Fed Chair Ben Bernanke.

So don't mess with me when the stakes are as high as they are with this book and the rot in Bama politics. Miss Chadwick, the advanced comp teacher and a legend at that, at Gaffney High School taught me well about commas.

Who was the last O Henry prize winner you interviewed Tim Bonney, and the last time you talked to a Harvard Lit Critic?

Waitin on your Reply!!!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: SBC woman on Sex COMMA Religion and Politics, NPR Fresh

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:49 pm

A couple of observations. One, this particular post has absolutely nothing to do with the New Baptist Covenant. So I took the reference to the NPR interview and moved it over to the thread on Baptist faith and practice, to which it seems more relevant.

Second, this particular topic area has become more of a place for Stephen to drop random topics than it is to discuss anything of relevance to the New Baptist Covenant, if there is, indeed, anything of relevance to discuss about it. From personal observation, the NBC, like so many other Baptist alternatives to the ministries and programs of the Southern Baptist Convention's good old days when the moderates were still in charge, has faded fast, and slipped into relative obscurity except for the few activists who got caught up in the original excitement and believed it would come to something more significant. Bill Clinton, who was a major, generating interest, has devoted most of his time to his own global initiative, the Clinton Foundation, which, in spite of the election time rhetoric, is quite successful, and is making a difference. I believe he is still a member of Immanuel Baptist Church in Little Rock, but has hung out with Methodists since his White House days. Jimmy Carter was the real Baptist face behind the NBC, which drew in the CBF moderates, the Alliance of Baptist liberals, a couple of state convention leaders and individuals here and there, and more or less put them in the same room with some of the more progressive African Americans. But Carter has had other interests, too, and age has slowed him down. The grand vision for some kind of Baptist unity, which was never realistic as long as more than half of the Baptists weren't interested, has become yet another tiny faction and organizational structure using terms like "unity in diversity," "productive dialogue" and "re-visioning" as self-descriptive, and is relatively obscure.

I would suggest changing the topic title to "New Baptist Covenant and Miscellaneous Baptist Minutia" so that some of Stephen's topics have a place where they are relevant.
Sandy

Return to New Baptist Covenant