Willimon to host Willie Earle Lynching Wofford convocation

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Willimon to host Willie Earle Lynching Wofford convocation

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Willimon is longtime chaplain at Duke and for seven years ending circa 2010 was a Methodist Bishop in North Alabama.

Longtime trustee at Wofford in Trey Gowdy's hometown of Spartanburg SC Friday Feb 17 he is hosting daylong conversation on the 70th anniversary of the Greenville SC lynching, Willimon's hometown. He was one year old when the lynching occurred.

See my blog on the matter for today at www.foxofbama.blogspot.com : Willimon, Willie Earle and Wofford.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Willimon to host Willie Earle Lynching Wofford convocati

Postby Sandy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Not that this isn't a fascinating and edge-of-your-seat interesting topic, but what does it have to do with the New Baptist Covenant?
Sandy

NBC is a race based initiative

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:05 pm

to Answer Sandy's question briefly.

I went to Rome Ga Friday to hear Patrick Phillips of Blood at the Root speak at Berry at 4pm then downtown at FUMC where about 400 folks showed for a provocative presentation on his book. There is an easily googled piece in the Rome News Trib about that event.

I am hoping they will invite Isabel Wilkerson of Rome's Thankful BC next year for dialogue with Pulitzer's Taylor Branch. Taylor's brother is a member of Lamar Wadsworth's Heritage BC in nearby Cartersville, home of Lottie Moon, birthplace rather.

Here is a link to Willimon's event last Friday in Spartanburg. A facebook reply to this notice makes the appropriate comment and I paraphrase: And they all prayed and went home and voted once again for Trey Gowdy.

Nevertheless kudos to Willimon for attempting a different outcome
https://willwillimon.wordpress.com/2017 ... lie-earle/

Phillips announced a likely conversation later this year at BrownsBridge mega church off Ga 400 in Forsyth County. I hope William Thornton can drive over and meet me there if they open the staff conversation up a little. Given the provocative implications of Phillips report of Gov Joe Frank Harris 1987 bi racial analysis of the all white county for 80 years, could be interesting event indeed. And Phillips did spotlight the statue of Hiram Bell erected in 2002 in downtown Cumming. His nephew Marvin elicited what Phillips speculated was a mock confession over a well of one of the lynched, Daniel, of the 1912 injustice.

With Thornton's interest in the Winder lynching of 47, hope he can make it to Browns Bridge.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to New Baptist Covenant