Checking in

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Checking in

Postby Jack Lottey » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:58 pm

I've been lurking on the various forums for six months or so and finally thought that I really ought to check in.
I"m sorta retired but have been serving as an interim pastor in an urban residential area church for the past ten years.
I've enjoyed reading the coments in several of forums and wanted to take a more visible role.
Jack Lottey
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Checking in

Postby Haruo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Welcome, Jack!

You've been an interim in a single church for ten years? Do they have any plans to get a pastor? ;-) Seriously, I've never heard of an interim pastorate lasting more than a couple years. Curious.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9894
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Checking in

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Jack Lottey wrote:I've been lurking on the various forums for six months or so and finally thought that I really ought to check in.
I"m sorta retired but have been serving as an interim pastor in an urban residential area church for the past ten years.
I've enjoyed reading the coments in several of forums and wanted to take a more visible role.


Ed: Welcome Jack! :wave: I hope your lovely wife was at church with you this morning, we missed her at Burnt Hills, and thought about both of you as we passed your church on the way from the Blue Ribbon Diner to the Hospital to visit Anna H. who had knee replacement surgery this week. I am looking forward to your participation here.
User avatar
Ed Pettibone
 
Posts: 11021
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:46 pm
Location: .Burnt Hills, New York, Capital Area

Re: Checking in

Postby Jack Lottey » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Yep, ten years. The search committee had been told they couldn't call an interim pastor so they just let it run on. I had been an interim there before and the called pastor left after two and a half years. They had just about spent their entire endowment with a pro bono pastor they are able to balance their annual budget and do a fair job in an mission outreach support. Officially we are an American Baptist Church but we do almost everything within an ecumenical cluster of neighborhood churches: 2 Roman Catholic, a Reformed, a Methodist, Lutheran and ABC. The group is a part of the Schenectady Inner City Ministries and participates in their outreach ministries (i.e., Food Pantry, Summer Lunch Program, Crop Walk, etc.). It's really a very rewarding ministry.
Jack Lottey
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Checking in

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:32 am

Jack, welcome to our group. If you sift long enough, you may find some nuggets of gold. I hope you will also contribute some thoughtful words as well.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5836
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Checking in

Postby Timothy Bonney » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:18 am

Jack Lottey wrote:Yep, ten years. The search committee had been told they couldn't call an interim pastor so they just let it run on. I had been an interim there before and the called pastor left after two and a half years. They had just about spent their entire endowment with a pro bono pastor they are able to balance their annual budget and do a fair job in an mission outreach support. Officially we are an American Baptist Church but we do almost everything within an ecumenical cluster of neighborhood churches: 2 Roman Catholic, a Reformed, a Methodist, Lutheran and ABC. The group is a part of the Schenectady Inner City Ministries and participates in their outreach ministries (i.e., Food Pantry, Summer Lunch Program, Crop Walk, etc.). It's really a very rewarding ministry.


Jack, welcome! It sounds like you serve in an interesting community. The ecumincal cooperation sounds exciting!

I am a former Baptist now United Methodist who hangs out here because of old friendships and associations. I grew up in the SBC and spent over 18 years serving in the ABC/USA.
Tim Bonney
Blog - http://circuitwriter.org
User avatar
Timothy Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Checking in

Postby Neil Heath » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Glad to have you aboard and participating, Jack. We need all the light we can get on some of these topics, as you well know if you've been lurking for a while.
Neil Heath
User avatar
Neil Heath
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:39 pm
Location: Macon, GA

Re: Checking in

Postby TrudyU » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Neil Heath wrote:Glad to have you aboard and participating, Jack. We need all the light we can get on some of these topics, as you well know if you've been lurking for a while.
TrudyU
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Checking in

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Welcome aboard--looking forward to your participation. Feel free to comment on existing threads or start new ones.
Lamar Wadsworth
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Re: Checking in

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 am

:wave: Welcome! I'd like to hear more about your ecumenical community service activities. I think the "cross-pollination" that goes on when different denominations cooperate makes for healthier more vibrant church life all around. Some folks like living in the same old rut. To me that's a grave with both ends knocked out. I hope to hear more from you.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
User avatar
Mrs Haruo
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:54 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Checking in

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 am

Welcome, Jack, very belatedly, if in fact you ever see this. I see you haven't been around for months and am not sure how your welcome thread came to be active, but it would indeed be nice to hear from you. I hope your self-disclosure about the terms of your engagement didn't cost you points with local lurkers.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9894
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Checking in

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:42 am

Haruo wrote:Welcome, Jack, very belatedly, if in fact you ever see this. I see you haven't been around for months and am not sure how your welcome thread came to be active, but it would indeed be nice to hear from you. I hope your self-disclosure about the terms of your engagement didn't cost you points with local lurkers.


Ed: Haruo, I don't think Jack has disclosed anything most of us locally didn't know. :) But I would like to see him be more active here especially in the ABC forum. He is one of my major go to guys on ABC historic activity although he is to my left on a few issues. :wink:
User avatar
Ed Pettibone
 
Posts: 11021
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:46 pm
Location: .Burnt Hills, New York, Capital Area


Return to Welcome Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest