Greetings -- introducing myself

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Greetings -- introducing myself

Postby HarryWatson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello == this is just to introduce myself to those who don't know me..
Thanks for letting me in again -- I was member years ago but was kicked out for inactivity
I am Harry Watson, Pastor emeritus (retired) of New Salem Baptist Church in Monticello NY USA. I'm trying to sell the house I my wife Betty and I lived in for 30 years (she died two years ago) but it seems that nobody can get money from a bank. I just started spending three afternoons a week hooked up to a dialysis machine in the local dialysis center and am no longer doing anything in our church except play the piano on Sunday. And that's about all there is to know about me now. I'd love to hear from all my friends.
HarryWatson

Re: Greetings -- introducing myself

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:20 pm

Harry, I didn't that know you play the piano. :D How are they coming along with the main street in Monticello?
Ed Pettibone

Postby HarryWatson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Broadway in Monticello is no longer a dirt road -- it is now blacktopped. The work on Broadway will continue until next Fall.
HarryWatson

Postby Mrs Haruo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Is Montecello anywhere near St Johnsville? I have a couple of cyber-friends that live there. I have never been in the state, only wandered around on a road map. My sister had a pen friend in Herkimer for awhile in grade school, but dropped her after she started writing about getting initiated into a sub-deb sorority as if it was the most wonderful thing that could happen in the whole wide world-- my sister was not into that stuff at ALL---and we had to look up in the encyclopaedia what a sub-deb sorority WAS. There was quite a cultural difference between small-town upstate NY and the suburbs of Seattle back then LOL. Having to hook up to a machine 3 times a week kinda ties you down, I get a lot of reading and embroidery done on the bus back and forth to treatments at the VA hospital for various bumps and grinds of an older, more worn out body. :roll:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Mrs Haruo wrote:Is Montecello anywhere near St Johnsville? I have a couple of cyber-friends that live there. I have never been in the state, only wandered around on a road map. My sister had a pen friend in Herkimer for awhile in grade school, but dropped her after she started writing about getting initiated into a sub-deb sorority as if it was the most wonderful thing that could happen in the whole wide world-- my sister was not into that stuff at ALL---and we had to look up in the encyclopaedia what a sub-deb sorority WAS. There was quite a cultural difference between small-town upstate NY and the suburbs of Seattle back then LOL. Having to hook up to a machine 3 times a week kinda ties you down, I get a lot of reading and embroidery done on the bus back and forth to treatments at the VA hospital for various bumps and grinds of an older, more worn out body. :roll:

Ed: Hi Mrs. H., I tried to link a map showing the route from Montecello to Herkimer but could not get it to work. MapQuest has the distance at 149.25 miles N & W with nearly 3 hours driving time. about 75% of the route is curves & hills on 2 lane roads, pretty slow drivng. St Johnsville is 17 miles East of Herkimer, with an interstate H'way.

And in reality it is pretty hard to compare areas of Upstate NY in regard to culture . I want to say it has some thing to do with the community size but that is not even true. I believe it has more to with the the stream of history as it relates to the original settlers Dutch ( from the Netherlands) and then English & French primarily, then Germans . And then second wave immigrants; Poles, Italians and Russians and other Europeans. And of course Albany was chartered as a city in 1686 whereas "Seattle" was not settled until 1851, and not named Seattle until 1853.

I am not clear as to the dates when you sister was communicating with someone in Herkimer, but 30 or more years ago, had she been in touch with a girl from a suburb of Albany, Syracuse or Buffalo I have an idea the culture would have been less different from suburban Seattle than what she seems to have experienced. Lower upstate, as far up as Poughkeepsie , perhaps including Monticello would be something else again being more related to and influenced by NYC. In fact Upstare is divided into the following 12 regions: Regions * Adirondack Mountains * Capital District (Albany and the surrounding area) * Catskill Mountains * Central New York (includes Syracuse) * Finger Lakes * The Holland Purchase * Hudson Valley (except Rockland County and Westchester County, though in general increasingly part of the New York metro area culturally) * Mohawk Valley * North Country (extreme Northern frontier of New York, north of the Adirondacks) * Shawangunk Ridge * Southern Tier (just north of Pennsylvania, excluding Western New York; includes Binghamton) * Western New York (the westernmost tip; includes Buffalo and sometimes Rochester)

Perhaps Harry who has been in the Empire state a good bit longer than I, will toss in greater knowledge of the vast diversity of New York State.
Ed Pettibone

Return to Welcome Forum