Hello forum

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Hello forum

Postby bdfoster » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:08 pm

Hi :)
I'm a new member. I've known about this site for about a year but am just now joining. I found this site while researching the baptist faith. I have been in Southern Baptist churches since childhood, and have stayed in a SB church mainly out of tradition and loyalty to good friends. But for years I have been uncomfortable with a lot of SB teaching. I recently moved from Orange County, CA to Riverside, CA (about 60 miles) and am now looking for a new church. I am looking at various denominations including southern and "non-southern" Baptist churches.
Brent Foster
"Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh." -- Jesus Christ
bdfoster

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:24 pm

Welcome! Not knowing what aspects of SBC dogma bother you the most, I can't guess whether ABC in that area would be a great improvement, but I wish you well in your search. I have an aunt & uncle in Riverside, but they're atheists, probably not up on what church to recommend...

Haruo
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby bdfoster » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:54 pm

Hi Haruo
One of my big problems with SBC is their insistance on inerrancy. I can't believe I'm saying that. A few years ago I would have argued for inerrancy. But the more I look at it the more it seems that the SBC position on scripture borders on idolatry. Insted of a Trinity they seem to have a "Quaternity": Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and Scripture In The Original Manuscripts.

I was looking through all the Baptist denominations on the baptistlife.com page and it appeared that most had a belief statement that included inerrancy, except Mainstream which isn't in California :( But then I saw your post about ABC and looked at their website, and they look promising, at least on that basis. I think the ABC position on scripture is more reasonable. There are some ABC churches in my area and I think I will give them a try. Thanks for the input :)
Brent Foster
"Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh." -- Jesus Christ
bdfoster

Postby Haruo » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:26 am

bdfoster wrote:... they seem to have a "Quaternity": Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and Scripture In The Original Manuscripts.

Yeah, including the Hidden Gospel of John, which says "the Word became Text and shelved among us..."

Haruo

PS: Good luck with the ABC; ABC in that part of the world tends to be too reactionary (in other ways; not inerrancy) for me, I'd probably look for an Alliance of Baptists Church or maybe have to go outside the Baptist fold altogether, say, Disciples or something. But here in Seattle ABC as we know it is just my cup of tea... ;-)
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby stellakeeffe » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:55 am

Hi bdfoster,

Just wanted to say don't blow off all SBC churches because of inerrancy. I am actually an SBC preacher's daughter who still attends an SBC church. My church & pastor do not constantly try to shove inerrancy down anyone's throat. I'm a slight enigma at seminary because I'm a Southern Baptist who attends a mostly CBF-supported school. I have no problem being a Southern Baptist where I am. So, I would suggest trying some different churches, meeting with the pastors about their beliefs and teachings. I always do this when visiting a new church so I will know the pastor's stance on women in the ministry.
"In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, love." -- Phillip Melanchthon
stellakeeffe

Re: Hello forum

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:03 am

bdfoster wrote:Hi :)
I'm a new member. I've known about this site for about a year but am just now joining. I found this site while researching the baptist faith. I have been in Southern Baptist churches since childhood, and have stayed in a SB church mainly out of tradition and loyalty to good friends. But for years I have been uncomfortable with a lot of SB teaching. I recently moved from Orange County, CA to Riverside, CA (about 60 miles) and am now looking for a new church. I am looking at various denominations including southern and "non-southern" Baptist churches.

wm: I'm sure the Lord will lead you to the right church. If you want critiques (or, just good old-fashioned contempt) of the SBC, this is the right place...just keep it in perspective.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Hello forum

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:44 am

William wrote:
bdfoster wrote:Hi :)

wm: I'm sure the Lord will lead you to the right church. If you want critiques (or, just good old-fashioned contempt) of the SBC, this is the right place...just keep it in perspective.

Ed: And you will soon note that William does not know the difference in contempt for SBC takeover leadership and appreciation for SBCers in general.
Ed Pettibone

Postby mlovell » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:19 pm

William -- If you want critiques (or, just good old-fashioned contempt) of the SBC, this is the right place...just keep it in perspective.

Or, if you want affirmation of the SBC's best, this is the right place for that. (Check the post just above William's.)

In other words, this is a great place for Baptists to maintain perspective by encountering diverse views on various issues (Baptist and otherwise) and learning to recognize gratuitous slams, mostly from those who identify with the SBC. (Go figure.)
mlovell

This Is My First

Postby soonered » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:40 am

This is my first post on BL.Com. Did not know it existed till I was looking up a list of CBF churches in my state and here I am. Been a Baptist since I was two weeks old they tell me. Wound up in the nursury... Found Christ as Savior at the age of eighteen. Am looking forward to dialogue with others and if I might be permitted: Boomer Sooner.
Love Is The Theme...
soonered

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:44 am

Soonered:
Boomer Sooner.

Welcome also, but be aware that one of the moderators is a raging OSU fan. Could be the quickest banning in BL.com history! :lol:

Seriously, we're glad you're here!
Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
"Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven."
Michael

Re: This Is My First

Postby David Flick » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:43 am

soonered wrote:This is my first post on BL.Com. Did not know it existed till I was looking up a list of CBF churches in my state and here I am. Been a Baptist since I was two weeks old they tell me. Wound up in the nursury... Found Christ as Savior at the age of eighteen. Am looking forward to dialogue with others and if I might be permitted: Boomer Sooner.

Hi Soonered. Welcome to BL.Com. Have no fear, you are permitted to dialogue with others here.

I noticed that you were searching for CBF churches in "my state." You then followed the comment with "Boomer Sooner." Would you per chance be a student at OU? Would Oklahoma, per chance, be "my state?"

Did you ever locate the list of CBF churches in "my state?" Here's the current list of CBF churches in Oklahoma. If you're a student and live in Norman, you might consider NorthHaven.

The offices for the Cooperating Baptist Fellowship of Oklahoma are located in Norman.

Great to dialogue with you. I look forward to further dialogue.

Go Pokes!!
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:24 am

Soonered wrote:Boomer Sooner.

Michael wrote:Welcome also, but be aware that one of the moderators is a raging OSU fan. Could be the quickest banning in BL.com history! :lol:

Seriously, we're glad you're here!

If Soonered had been looking for a fundy church (BGCO), I'd be tempted to get out the ax. :wink: (tic) But he/she was looking for a CBFO church. Any Sooner who looks for a CBFO church is a friend of mine regardless of whether or not he/she pulls for teams from the other university. They play pretty good football over there, but have a habit of choking in the national finals. They play halfway decent basketball over there, event to the point of backing into the conference championship this year. But they couldn't get past the first round in the NCAA's. And they can't wrestle worth a lick... :P
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:23 pm

David maybe you could persuade this one to read the Forum polices that I E-mailed. Or they could go to the top of the page where it says click here.
Ed Pettibone

Postby mlovell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:33 pm

Or we could just make the assumption that he's another Ed -- and SoonerEd was his way of differentiating. Maybe?
mlovell

Postby David Flick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:07 am

Ed Pettibone wrote:David maybe you could persuade this one to read the Forum polices that I E-mailed. Or they could go to the top of the page where it says click here.

Ed, maybe you could be pursuaded to read Ml's post (the one just above this one...) :)
David Flick
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Forum (For Visitors and New Users)