[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Former Baptist Joining In

Former Baptist Joining In

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Former Baptist Joining In

Postby jpeckjr » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Grace and peace to all.

My handle is jpeckjr, which is my name, sort of, Jim Peck. I use the jr to honor my dad, Jim Peck, Sr. He was on the HMB staff for a short time from 1959 - 61 when he was killed in an auto accident, the first HMB staffer to die in an auto accident. He was the secretary of industrial and institutional chaplaincy. I grew up at Briarclif Baptist in suburban Atlanta. My parents were charter members. My mom is still a member there.

Graduated from Mercer - Atlanta in 1980, then off to Cornell Univ to get a masters. Helped start the SBC church in Ithaca. Came back to Atlanta and joined Oakhurst Baptist in Decatur. Was there when Walker Knight (one of my greatest teachers) started Baptists Today. Also there when the Alliance of Baptists formed.

But, alas, I finally had enough of being Baptist in 1988 and joined the United Church of Christ. After 15 years in public adminstration, I went to United Seminary of the Twin Cities. I'm now a UCC minister, serving the UCC church in Chico, California, after 8.5 years at a congregation in Minnesota. I'm much more at home in the UCC. I'll probably lurk more than post.

I am grateful for my Baptist upbringing, particularly my love for and knowledge of the Bible. Don't know why I still keep up with Baptist doings. I suppose it's because part of my heart is still dripping wet!
jpeckjr

Re: Former Baptist Joining In

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:20 am

Welcome, Jim!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Welcome, Jim. I hope you'll give us the benefit of your perspective on some of the issues we discuss. I think it could be most helpful to see how the non-Baptist world sees us.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:07 am

Welcome from another recovering Southern Baptist (now CBF/Alliance of Baptists).
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby Elisabeth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Hhheeeeyyyy....are you inferring there's something to recover from after being SBC? :P haha.

Welcome Jim. :-) I'm sorta kinda another non-Baptist...'cause I've been to many denominations all over the place, and I'm now going to a Free Methodist college and attending a Nazarene church. But, I still like the Southern Baptists...
~Elisabeth

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15
Elisabeth

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby Elisabeth » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:29 pm

~Elisabeth

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15
Elisabeth

Return to Welcome Forum. (For Visitors and New Users)