[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Hello from TN

Hello from TN

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Hello from TN

Postby Lowen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:14 pm

Hey everyone, just thought I'd stop in and say Hi. Being my first post, I guess I should introduce myself.

For starters, I live in a rural town in the state of TN. My name is Michael, and I've been saved since I was 11 or 12, somewhere along that time. I used Lowen as my username, without realizing it was required to have part of your real name given. So, to remedy that, I've placed my name in my signature. Anyways, ever since I became saved, I've continued to grow in the Lord. I'm currently a young lad of 19. I've been viewing the posts in the forums, and so I decided I'd join the community. Hopefully I can share some things that will be a blessing.

Lets see, what else... Oh, yes. I greatly greatly greatly esteem the Word of God. Jesus being the Living Word, I try to daily read His Word for guidance. I made it my goal last year to read the entire Bible all the way through from Genesis to Revelation, and so by the help of God I accomplished that goal. Now I'm currently into my second year of reading, and now newer things are being brought out to me that I had not noticed before, and I'm sure this will continue each year until I die. Also, I'm afraid I read only the King James Bible. I used to read the New King James, but after doing some research and finding some serious errors with this newer translation, I decided to go old school and just trust the King James. It can be a bit harder to read in certain points, but I've grown accustomed to it. Needless to say, compared to our modern English these days, I find the old English in the King James to be poetic, and even beautiful. You guys might think I'm strange for that. Aren't we all a little strange though?

Hmm, oh yes, I guess I could list some things that God has done for me. First of all, I graduated High School in 2007 as one of the 18 valedictorians. Praise God for that! My class completely shattered the record of 4.0's: the old record at our school was 4. Also, I've managed to carry that 4.0 average to my first year of college, which I successfully completed. My favorite subjects through school has always been Reading and Science. Strangely enough, my worst skills are in Math, and my English could probably use some serious work. Regardless of how much I hated Math, I always pulled through and made A's in those classes. I am by far not a Genius. I'm actually kinda slow when it comes to my work, being usually the last one done in labs or on tests. I'm thorough, but not fast.

Well, that gives a little bit of info about me. I pray that God helps me keep up my grades in College this second year. Just looking about me, I can see how much He's blessed me. Me and my family have never once been in need. God is good! :)

God bless each of you daily with peace and joy. I look forward to being apart of this community.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Lowen

Re: Hello from TN

Postby Joshua Villines » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 pm

Michael,

Welcome to BL, where (as I'm sure you've realized) you will be holding down the far right corner of the far-right end of the room.

I wish you the very best in your continued studies.

Joshua
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Lowen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:27 pm

Thank you, I am a conservative. So sorry demon-crats. :D

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Lowen

Postby ET » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:56 pm

Where 'bouts in Tennessee? I'm in Cordova just outside of Memphis. May a few trips each year to the eastern end of the state, usually to "party" with 106,000 of my closest friends on fall afternoons. :D
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Lowen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm in East TN, near the Kentucky border. (Like, a 20 minute drive). I'd tell the exact place, but I just dont' trust putting that info on the internet.

Lowen

Postby Mrs Haruo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 am

Welcome, Lowen
I hope you are blessed by your college experience. I hope you will not only have your nose deep in your books but take advantage of the opportunity to study other points of view than your own, and get acquainted with a wide variety of people. The more you learn to appreciate and respect other peoples values, beliefs and opinions, the deeper and richer your own faith will become. You haven't mentioned what your major is, maybe you haven't had to declare one this early in your college career, but make the time to take a course or two outside of your intended field or "comfort zone". You just may discover a passion, a gift for something you may have not considered before. If nothing else, you will be a more interesting person.

Not one of the validectorians of the class of 1972,
U.S.Navy Good Conduct Medal ("Fidelity, Zeal, Obedience")'76
Dean's List 1980
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Lowen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:43 am

Bah! Your right Mrs. Haruo, I didn't mention a major. Allow me to remedy that then! Well, when I first went into college, my major was Chemistry. However, that changed very quickly. You see, to be a Chemestry major, I was required to actually take Calculus 1 and 2 my first year. But... my ACT score was not high enough to get into those math classes, so... I was in college algebra. I found out that this put me 2 math classes behind (I needed both college Algebra and Pre-Cal even before I took Calculas 1!). Anyways, I don't like Math, and I realized that Chemistry actually has a lot of high Math in it. So, I switched my major to Biology. (With this Major, I'm no longer behind!). I'm still unsure what I want to do exactly. All I know is that I want to go into the scientific field of study. I'm leaning towards plant biology right now though (Botany). I pray that God shows me what career I should do. I honestly haven't had a single class yet that stuck out to me. Nothing has convinced me to say "Oh wow! This is awesome! I'd love doing this kind of work!".

So, who knows. I might end up changing my Biology Major. As a side note, one of my hobbies is to write. I've written a few poems in my lifetime, and a short story.

Thank you for asking Mrs. Haruo! :D

Lowen

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Michael, having spent some time in the Knoxville area, I welcome you here. I hope your studies go well. This group can be a challenging group, but remember the biblical admonition that "iron sharpens iron." This may give you a chance to interact. Don't be surprised if you don't convert all of us to your viewpoint. There are some outstanding scholars here who may surprise you with their knowledge of and of scripture. Yesterday marked the 40th anniversary of my ordination to ministry, and I'm not at the top of that list by a long way. We welcome you, and will try to take you seriously each time you make a post.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm

:D Michael-- your trouble with calculus strikes home!! Math has always been a struggle for me- even with having an engineer for a Dad. I loved the outdoors so much as a girl, I thought I ought to go into Forestry. Maybe it comes from him saying "We don't need to go to church, lets go see what God made" Anyway, when it came time to apply for the University of Washington, I found out what was in the curriculum. CALCULUS!!!!! I reconsidered how much did I want to be running around in the woods with a clipboard calculating how many board feet of lumber were in those Douglas Firs. Joined the Navy instead. Like Robert Frost wrote "Two paths diverged in a wood, and I? I took the path less traveled by.......
And that has made all the difference...........

I have training in several fields, have ended up being employed in a few more, but the best title is the one I hold now: [b]Grandma![b] :lol:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:56 pm

Welcome to the forum, Lowen. I must note, however, that I have the official BL.com copyright to the use of the name Michael with all rights and privileges. I guess you'll have to head to the courts and come up with something else - maybe Gabriel to keep in the angelic spirit. :wink:

Hope you enjoy our witty banter and the broadness of our Christian faith community here.
Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
"Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven."
Michael

Return to Welcome Forum. (For Visitors and New Users)