Hello from Asunción, Paraguay, South America

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Hello from Asunción, Paraguay, South America

Postby eduardo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:33 pm

Hello to everyone. My name is Eduardo Sánchez, and I am a member of Villa Morra Baptist Church, Asunción, Paraguay. I learned about this forum when googling for the BGCT Rio Grande Valley scandal. Thanks for receiving me into the membership.

I am 36 years old. I work as a pastoral assistant for one of the Directors of the Baptist Union of Latin America (UBLA). After doing some biochemistry studies here at the university, I got a B.Th. by a Presbyterian seminary, and then I went to Grand Rapids, MI to pursue graduate studies at Calvin Theological Seminary. Right now I have the Th.M. candidacy in Philosophical Theology, though I doubt I'll ever write my thesis (because money has dried up). I live in Asunción with my wife of 3 years. We have no children... yet.

Shameless plug: Should you need a capable Spanish-English translator (in any direction) contact me, I'll be happy to provide you a quote with competitive prices :)
eduardo

Postby Jim1964 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:19 pm

Bienvenidos 8)
Jim1964

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:11 am

Always on the lookout for good Guaraní hymns and praise songs...

Welcome to the board!

Haruo
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby eduardo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:48 am

Thanks Haruo and Jim.

Haruo: Unfortunately, I am a Spanish speaker and I do not speak Guarani well. However, if I get my hands on some Guarani hymnody, I will let you know.

Ñandejára ta nde rovasa (in Guarani, "Our Lord bless you.")
eduardo

Postby Haruo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Mi hermana Peggy (y su esposo Dan, con dos de los cuatro niños de ellos) vive en Méjico, en la ciudad Oaxaca. Peggy y Dan trabajan como traductores de la biblia en la lengua de los indios mazatecos (Mazateco de San Jerónimo Tecoatl) por Wycliffe. A menudo os envío las canciones y los himnos de la alabanza que originaron en otras idiomas indígenas (especialmente de las Américas). En cualquier caso, ¡bienvenidos! y recepción a nuestro BaptistLife...

Haruo
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:51 pm

Haruo wrote:Mi hermana Peggy (y su esposo Dan, con dos de los cuatro niños de ellos) vive en Méjico, en la ciudad Oaxaca. Peggy y Dan trabajan como traductores de la biblia en la lengua de los indios mazatecos (Mazateco de San Jerónimo Tecoatl) por Wycliffe. A menudo os envío las canciones y los himnos de la alabanza que originaron en otras idiomas indígenas (especialmente de las Américas). En cualquier caso, ¡bienvenidos! y recepción a nuestro BaptistLife...

Haruo

Let me try. My sister Peggy (and her husband Dan. with two of their four children) live in Mexico, in the city of Oaxaca. Peggy and Dan travel with bible translators translating the bible into the language of the Mazatecos Indians for Wycliffe. ....the songs and hymns of the.....[I'm in trouble here] .....Welcome to our Baptist Life.

I took two years of high school Spanish in 1956-58, with a B average. Two years of University Spanish 1958-60, with a D average. Haruo, do you think I could learn it again?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:20 am

Chris wrote:
Haruo wrote:Mi hermana Peggy (y su esposo Dan, con dos de los cuatro niños de ellos) vive en Méjico, en la ciudad Oaxaca. Peggy y Dan trabajan como traductores de la biblia en la lengua de los indios mazatecos (Mazateco de San Jerónimo Tecoatl) por Wycliffe. A menudo os envío las canciones y los himnos de la alabanza que originaron en otras idiomas indígenas (especialmente de las Américas). En cualquier caso, ¡bienvenidos! y recepción a nuestro BaptistLife...

Haruo

Let me try. My sister Peggy (and her husband Dan. with two of their four children) live in Mexico, in the city of Oaxaca. Peggy and Dan travel with bible translators translating the bible into the language of the Mazatecos Indians for Wycliffe. ....the songs and hymns of the.....[I'm in trouble here] .....Welcome to our Baptist Life.

I took two years of high school Spanish in 1956-58, with a B average. Two years of University Spanish 1958-60, with a D average. Haruo, do you think I could learn it again?

Probably, though of course I would recommend Esperanto instead. :)

Incidentally, the "¡bienvenidos! y recepción" part is sort of a red herring or something (some proverbial color of some sort of fish, anyhow): I normally use translate.google.com or babelfish.altavista.com to check my work when I write in languages (like Spanish) where I don't feel entirely confident of my command of grammar and idiom, but when I put this one through the textbox "welcome to..." came out "recepción a...", which is... not exactly wrong... but just silly, sort of like insisting on putting "a" before "welcome" when used exclamatorily. So I decided to reduplicate my efforts and wish him "welcome! and a welcome to" even though it makes no idiomatic sense. If I had been concerned about the quality of my Spanish I would have just said ¡bienvenidos!...

Haruo
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:47 pm

Bienvenidos, eduardo!

I have a good friend, Jerry R. Sanders, who is a Baptist missionary in Paraguay. He's been down there quite a few years now. Ever heard of him?
Rvaughn

Return to Welcome Forum (For Visitors and New Users)