Hello

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Hello

Postby John 966 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:47 am

Hello my nane is John and i have just become a member of this forum to find out about the bapists, I'am a catholic and i would like to know if i should become a baptist, as i can't find what I'am looking for in the Catholic church.
Could you please tell me why you think i should become a baptist as i seem to like what i have read about the Church, but have not yet made my mind up.

with thanks
John 966
John 966

Postby Joshua Villines » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:05 am

John,

Welcome! As for your question, I suppose that would depend on what you're looking for. I find the Roman Catholic Church's scoial conservativism very distressing, and I'm not terribly fond of their rigid hierarchy; but there is a lot of good in the RCC. In my experience, most folks in any denomination are more concerned with their local parish than the larger identity of the denomination.

What are you looking for from your faith community?

Joshua
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby John 966 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:23 pm

To have a relationship with Jesus not the church as you do in the Catholic church
John 966

Postby Joshua Villines » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:27 am

John,

Well, a personal relationship with Jesus is possible simply through prayer and the study of Scripture. All mainline denominations, including the Roman Catholic Church, encourage that. They differ, of course, in how that personal relationship should be expressed and in the level of accountability they expect to overall Christian tradition and to the denomination's understanding of orthodoxy.

Since every baptist church is fully autonomous, there is huge diversity among baptist churches regarding how they worship and what they believe. If you are interested in personal accountability, diversity, and church freedom; then a baptist church may be the place for you. Just remember that two different churches may have baptist on the sign out front, and be totally different on the inside.

If you want to learn more about baptist identity you may want to visit this link and scroll down to the books on Baptist Heritage.

Joshua
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Return to Welcome Forum (For Visitors and New Users)