[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Lou in Texas

Lou in Texas

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Lou in Texas

Postby Lou » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:45 am

Greetings to all from a long-time lurker and new member of BL. I'm Louis Johnson from Texas. A few salient facts about me:

* Life-long Baptist and member of Southern Baptist churches, long wed emotionally to the SBC but much (MUCH) less so in the past dozen years or so.
* Graduate of Hardin-Simmons University with my BA in Bible & Psychology; I did not attend seminary.
* All my liberal friends say I'm conservative, and all my conservative friends say I'm liberal, so feel free to choose whatever theological label you think best fits.
* In vocational church ministry since 1979; pastor of the same small neighborhood church in Abilene TX since 1991.
* Avid reader of books in all genres. (I'm currently plodding my way through volume 2 of Edmund Morris' mammoth trilogy on the life of Theodore Roosevelt; the latest by Malcolm Gladwell is next in line).
* Fan of the works of C.S. Lewis, N.T. Wright, Philip Yancey, and (*GASP*) Donald Miller.
* Unapologetic coffee snob. (When you grow up within a faith tradition that frowns on all the other vices but this one, you're entitled to become such.)

I might not participate in board discussions a great deal, but I finally registered so that if I'm ever inclined to do so I'll have that opportunity. Thanks to all!
Lou

Re: Lou in Texas

Postby Neil Heath » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Welcome, Lou! If you're a longtime lurker you know us already. I'm glad we get to know you, too.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:27 am

Welcome, Lou!

What sort of coffee does a Texas coffee snob like? I ask as a Seattleite not greatly enamoured of Starbucks' roasting results.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Haruo, although I do enjoy Starbucks coffee (if you drink it strong, black, and unsweetened like I do, the $2.25 price--including sales tax--of a large cup is not unreasonable), I've heard others express opinions similar to yours. I enjoy darker roasts, and that is what they do best. Starbucks does now brew something they call 'blonde roast' coffee, which I suppose is about as light a roast as you can get.

There is a locally-owned caffeine dispensary where I meet with our church staff on a weekly basis. I am on friendly terms with the owner, and on those mornings she grinds and brews some dark-roast Guatemalan beans that she knows I enjoy. As they say, it's not what you know, but who you know... :)
Lou

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Welcome, Lou--look forward to your participation. Feel free to start new threads or comment on existing ones.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Return to Welcome Forum. (For Visitors and New Users)